Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Avast updates twice in a row when booting Windows

• Please log in to reply

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Out of the blue, my Avast AV version 7.0.1456 started updating twice when I boot Windows on my laptop. As soon as Windows loads, Avast updates, the nice lady states that Avast has updated and it then updates a second time instantly. I've noticed this started happening a few days ago. Is this happening to others who use Avast or am I a lone recipient of these multiple updates within seconds of each other that happens only when I boot the laptop. Doesn't happen when Avast updates after the laptop has been on for awhile.

PS: Not having any issues with Avast, I was just wondering.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep been happening with mine also Donna. I'm waiting to see if it happens in the morning when I normally reboot my system.

Fulcanelli

Fulcanelli

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having the same issue, using the Avast free version. I want to add that the other day, before this problem started, I had a virus alert on booting my computer and it is not showing in my Virus Chest. I scanned for viruses after that and found nothing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rebooted this morning and no double update notice. May have been a glitch on their side and they finally found it. :thumbsup:

Major Tom

Major Tom

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Still doing it to me. I switched to gaming mode to stop the voice until it gets fixed

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hm... mine is back to "normal" as well. I did notice last night that instead of updating twice I received two "dings" instead of one before Avast updated.

I am having the same issue, using the Avast free version. I want to add that the other day, before this problem started, I had a virus alert on booting my computer and it is not showing in my Virus Chest. I scanned for viruses after that and found nothing.

Hi Fulcanelli. Welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

The reason that you found no indication of a virus in your virus chest is because Avast conquered the beast and prevented it from entering your system.

This issue was more than likely a glitch, as you said Ron, and Avast finally corrected it. :thumbsup:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Well by golly! Just returned home after visiting the Mom 300 miles south, booted up laptop and Avast is notifying me twice that is has updated. :rolleyes:

Oh well. Que sera sera as Doris Day would say.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Mine still working fine here.

flyboy1565

flyboy1565

• PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
my system was doing it for like a month and then, it stopped. did notice the same this where avast said it detected a virus. But when i ran malwarebytes it didn't find it.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• Topic Starter
  • GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Update:

It's a temporary glitch in the program that is being worked on so don't fret.

Many thanks to Essexboy for this information. :hug:

This will not interfere with the updates to the virus definitions nor leave you vulnerable to infection.

If this bothers you please do the following (as I have done):

Click on Settings at the top of the program and change the option under Program from Auto Update to Ask when an update is available.

Edited by DonnaB, 07 August 2012 - 09:43 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Mine has been working great ever since July 29th. Updates twice a day just like always. :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I do not use Avast.

However from another source, I have seen problems reported and it appesrs the cause of the frequent updates is in some cases the new procedure for updates, which I understand is applicable to the free version as well.

Hybrid Cloud Technologies

Posted ImageStreaming, real-time virus database updates
Now you get each virus signature sent to you in real-time via connection to the AVAST Virus Lab cloud, rather than needing to wait for a traditional database update. Your database will be continuously updated with latest definitions.

NOT of course to suggest that, the cause of the problem discussed was not as you cooment re the information from Essexboy, but it does appear prevalent that people are reporting vastly increased update activity

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not sure what is happening because after a couple of days of the issue I am now back where it updates in the morning and in the evening. If needed I have seen it update in mid afternoon also just like it did on me a few minutes ago.