Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PLEASE help me remove a registry virus/root from my laptop

• Please log in to reply

MsBeautyandBrains

MsBeautyandBrains

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello there!

I did not have anti-virus for a long time on my computer and after getting a google redirect virus I finally upgraded and reinstalled Norton Anti Virus and Norton Utilities. I also have Malwarebytes AntiMalware installed as a free trial and that expires in 5 days. It seemed everytime I would run Norton there would always be the same problem with the registry keys being invalid. It also told me that I had a Trojan.Patchep!sys virus which had to be manually removed. I asked around and it seemed that the only way to remove it was to reinstall windows and the whole system. Sooo I decided to save myself the money and make an attempt to do it myself. I saved everything on an external hard drive and I proceeded to reboot the system by pressing the Fn key and F10 as the computer starts. It seemed to work and everything was reinstalled. I reinstalled Norton again and it seems that the Trojan and the google redirect viruses are gone. However the registry virus/root (sorry I don't know the proper term)seems to still be present somehow. When I run Norton it tells me my system is clean. When I run Norton Utilities it tells me that in my "custom controls" I have a registry where the values are invalid. However Norton cannot remove it it only seems to ignore it. This is what it says- "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib\{CEF63746-AD34-42D0-9138-39D83ECB77CB}\1.0\HELPDIR"

Can you please help me to manually remove this and input the proper registry key? I am desperate for help as it seems I tried everything and somehow this escaped the system reinstall that I did. I will be careful and with the right instructions I am sure I can do it. I currently have a SONY VAIO laptop with Windows 7 Professional system installed on it, 64-bit operating system, Intel®Core™i5 CPU is my processor. If any other information is necessary I will gladly let you know. I hope someone can help me... Thanks!

Edited by MsBeautyandBrains, 26 July 2012 - 09:40 PM.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,598 posts
  • MVP
It's a normal key that Norton Utilities flags as a false positive. See:

http://community.nor...ner/td-p/251637

Ron