Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo upgrading

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Thanks for the additional details :thumbsup:

Unfortunately you cannot legitimately or functionally use the disk with anything other than the Dell machine that it was intended for, this is down to the OEM licensing agreement + there may also be Dell specific software included that could conflict with your other software/drivers causing instability/crashes.

So this means that I must buy Windows as well if I want to upgrade the MB? Is there a combo for Windows, the MB and the processor?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Yes regarding the OS and sorry no for the combo deal, it is either MB and CPU or OS and MB I`m afraid, you could always use a free Linux OS even temporarily until you are able to purchase Windows 7.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Yes regarding the OS and sorry no for the combo deal, it is either MB and CPU or OS and MB I`m afraid, you could always use a free Linux OS even temporarily until you are able to purchase Windows 7.

Alright thanks alot. I might just wait for my taxes since I have alot to get.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Let us know when you are ready to upgrade and we will look for the best deals for you.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

You are welcome :thumbsup:

Let us know when you are ready to upgrade and we will look for the best deals for you.

Alright im looking to spend maybe $400-$450 for all of it. I know the combo you gave me was $209 then Windows 7 is like $120 and the RAM is like what? $50? so about $380...alright I can do that maybe in the next few weeks here. Bi weekly checks blow!

And I just caught the Linux part... what is that? How well is it for gaming since that is all my computer is used for?

Edited by heartgrave, 31 July 2012 - 03:18 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Some Linux info @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

Unfortunately at present not a lot of games are supported so that idea is basically a non starter for you.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Unfortunately at present not a lot of games are supported so that idea is basically a non starter for you.

Looks like World of Warcraft is on that list of games that DO work so Linux is fine with me untill I can get Windows 7 or maybe even Windows 8!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Looks like World of Warcraft is on that list of games that DO work so Linux is fine with me untill I can get Windows 7 or maybe even Windows 8!

:spoton: Works for me

Keep us posted on how the upgrade goes and any questions please ask.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
That combo that you provided to me is no longer available... anything you might see close to it? And if you could... throw in compatible RAM.

EDIT: Please and Thank you!!!

Edited by heartgrave, 11 August 2012 - 12:42 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Sorry but I have forgotten what the combo was, can you remind me please.

Advertisements

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__2183648

It was for the MB and Processor combo! :D

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
I remember that but not the items or the cost I`m afraid.

Micro ATX MB - CPU and Ram is what you require at present so can you advise me of the budget I have got to work with please.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

I remember that but not the items or the cost I`m afraid.

Micro ATX MB - CPU and Ram is what you require at present so can you advise me of the budget I have got to work with please.

like...well the MB and CPU combo you picked for me before was a total of $209. And RAM im guessing is between $40 and $60 so like $350 :)

you are the best as usual :D

Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks I am on the trail and will post back shortly :D :thumbsup:

Combo deals are not very good at present so I have put you the items together @ http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eob3 under budget as well :happy:

Edited by phillpower2, 11 August 2012 - 02:02 PM.
Link to parts added

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Thanks I am on the trail and will post back shortly :D :thumbsup:

Combo deals are not very good at present so I have put you the items together @ http://pcpartpicker.com/p/eob3 under budget as well :happy:

What if I told you that there was no budget and to sratch the RAM for now? Would that help find something close to what was originally suggested? :P :)