Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo upgrading

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
So the Intel package you built with pcpartpicker then?

Im sorry man but I have no idea what the numbers or the specs mean or what im looking at or for. I am at work so I will look at it later on more in depth... this system does not like newegg too well.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

So the Intel package you built with pcpartpicker then?

All depends on whether or not you are likely to ever want to add a second video card!
If not then the AMD parts are also worth consideration.
FWIW one good video card is often better than two average video cards.

If you had a bigger case you could use a regular size AMD ATX MB which offers a similar capability as what the Intel boards offer, basically you must consider what if any future upgrade options you would like to have.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
nope just the RAM and CPU that im getting with the MB... nothing else after that, at least internally. I got everything I need for a few years id think... idk what else can be upgraded except the hard drive or the disk drive which I may want to upgrade to blu ray burner. Im good with 1 video card as well I was not sure how much the 2 cards would make a difference. So if none then im good with 1 card.

so with that being said.... Intel package?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I personally would choose the Intel option but would also have no problem with the AMD choice if I was on a fixed budget, you would not be disappointed with either CPU.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
How would I install Linux on the computer when I put the new gear in? I wont have Windows since the program I got is OEM (whichever is NOT the retail type)? Do I need to format the HDD before I do the installation of the MB and CPU?

In short words, how would I do it?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
To ensure the HDD is clean http://www.dban.org/

A Ubuntu Linux tutorial for you @ http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/usb ( saves you a CD :whistling: )

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

To ensure the HDD is clean http://www.dban.org/

A Linux tutorial for you @ http://psychocats.net/ubuntu/usb ( saves you a CD :whistling: )

Do I have to format the HDD? If I do not have to I will not. Ubuntu is Linux?

It says:
"To get your BIOS to boot from USB, you may have to press a special key right when you bootup (it could be F9, Escape, Delete, or F12, depending on what you have)." on the psychocats site. I have Vista, would you know which button to press? Also by doing this, will it start the installation of Ubuntu?

Edited by heartgrave, 04 September 2012 - 01:05 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Formatting a new HDD helps to ensure that you get a clean install of the OS and so it is recommended.

The BIOS access key is not determined by the OS this is done by the MBs BIOS chip, common access keys used for this are F8 or Del.

No.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Well I will not be buying a new HDD unless I have to and if I do can you provide me with a nice one? 500 gigs or higher would work. Also is a SSD better than a HDD? Are they even close to the same thing?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
HDD http://us.ncix.com/p...te&promoid=1084

SSD drives are best used for the OS as they speed up boot times, they are however more expensive than mechanical HDDs.

Advertisements

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

HDD http://us.ncix.com/p...te&promoid=1084

SSD drives are best used for the OS as they speed up boot times, they are however more expensive than mechanical HDDs.

Is a HDD "Needed" though for me to do the MB, CPU, RAM, OS swap?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Not if you already have a HDD you can use.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Not if you already have a HDD you can use.

Alright well I already got one in the computer im doing the swap on so all is good then. Thanks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Remember to back up any data on the HDD that you wish to keep before formatting the drive.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
So when I put in the USB drive that has this Ubuntu program on it and I start up the computer/BIOS will it install Ubuntu on my system? Is Ubuntu the Linux OS? I know I asked before but I am a little lost on it.

Edited by heartgrave, 06 September 2012 - 04:32 PM.