Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo upgrading

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Hey all its that time again... looking for another upgrade for my computer... need a mobo this time... a gaming one if that matters... let me know whats needed... Id like something that can support more ram than what I got as well. I have a gfx card already and a 650watt psu. let me know if you would need any other info.

here is the current mobo from speccy:

Motherboard
Manufacturer Dell Inc.
Model 0U880P (CPU 1)
Version 00
Chipset Vendor Intel
Chipset Model G41
Chipset Revision A3
Southbridge Vendor Intel
Southbridge Model 82801GB (ICH7/R)
Southbridge Revision A1
System Temperature 30 °C
BIOS
Brand Dell Inc.
Version A02
Date 03/30/2009
Voltage
CPU CORE 1.248 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 2.160 V
+3.3V 1.808 V
+5V 5.000 V
+12V 8.640 V
-12V -8.640 V
-5V -8.640 V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD 5.027 V
CMOS BATTERY 3.296 V
PCI Data
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI1
Slot Number 0
Slot PCI
Slot Type PCI
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width 32 bit
Slot Designation PCI2
Slot Number 1
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage In Use
Bus Width 64 bit
Slot Designation PCIEx16
Slot Number 2
Slot PCI-E
Slot Type PCI-E
Slot Usage Available
Bus Width Unknown
Slot Designation PCIEx1
Slot Number 3

Advertisements

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Alright I realised I did not provide my case specs, I apologize. I am currently at work and for some reason the Dell website is not working well with my computer systems. So I can tell you I do have a Dell Inspiron 537. I guess its a mini case if I read correctly from what Phillpower2 found out a few years back. I want to get a new motherboard that is capable of holding alot more than the 4gb of RAM this current one has and maybe a better processor. Now here are my questions/concerns:

1) Do processors come with the motherboards or are they a seperate part?
2) Is it possible to get a motherboard with Windows 7 already installed or included with it as I remember from another post I was told I would need to buy another copy of Windows?
3) If I replace the case do I have to replace anything else (fans, wires, heatsinks, ect) to ensure proper use?
4) Can I take out my old Harddrive and CD Drive to use in the new case? (if needed)

Thanks!

Edited by heartgrave, 28 July 2012 - 10:59 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi heartgrave

Your present MB is the micro ATX form factor and you must keep this in mind unless you also intend to purchase a new case, your MB specs http://www.findlapto...80p-specs-dell/

Yes and no, yes if you go for a combo deal such as http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.989962 but no if you do not.

2) Is it possible to get a motherboard with Windows 7 already installed or included with it as I remember from another post I was told I would need to buy another copy of Windows?

No and yes, Windows is installed on the HDD not the MB but again you can choose a combo deal such as http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.836255 also if you have a full retail OS disk, a product key for the disk and the product key is not in use on another computer you can install the OS on a new build.

3) If I replace the case do I have to replace anything else (fans, wires, heatsinks, ect) to ensure proper use?

This depends on the quality of the case and the case fans, the heatsink depends on whether you also replace the MB and CPU.

4) Can I take out my old Harddrive and CD Drive to use in the new case? (if needed)

Yes but as a precaution you should back up all important data on the HDD first.

Please provide us with your maximum budget and a list of the hardware you wish to purchase.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Hi heartgrave

Your present MB is the micro ATX form factor and you must keep this in mind unless you also intend to purchase a new case, your MB specs http://www.findlapto...80p-specs-dell/

Yes and no, yes if you go for a combo deal such as http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.989962 but no if you do not.

No and yes, Windows is installed on the HDD not the MB but again you can choose a combo deal such as http://www.newegg.co...st=Combo.836255 also if you have a full retail OS disk, a product key for the disk and the product key is not in use on another computer you can install the OS on a new build.

Budget is not a concern. I will buy through multiple purchases if needed.

This depends on the quality of the case and the case fans, the heatsink depends on whether you also replace the MB and CPU.

Yes but as a precaution you should back up all important data on the HDD first.

Please provide us with your maximum budget and a list of the hardware you wish to purchase.

I apologize I do not know how to reply with multiple quote as you have, I even pressed multiquote but it seems to do almost nothing except highlight itself.

Alright here goes.

Quote 1
I like that combo... will it fit in my case? I am willing to upgrade the case if needed.

Quote 2
I read a post I posted a while back and Digerati mentioned I would have to replace Windows if I replaced the MB... in this case if I do not have to replace Windows then I will not do so.

Quote 3
Since all I am replacing in this scenario is the MB, do I replace the case, or is nothing else is required?

All I am looking to replace honestly is the MB to help support more RAM and the processor. I would like the better processor and the better RAM options and I like that combo pack you found. The RAM I know how to upgrade using Crucial tool thanks to you! Another concern I have is, will my PSU power this board, the processors, RAM and the GFX card I have? Here the PSU link I have that you suggested for me to get http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139020
Im looking mostly for a good gaming MB that will support higher RAM and a better processor. If this combo you suggested to me does ALL that and my PSU supports it all then I am good to go with that! :)

Edited by heartgrave, 29 July 2012 - 09:25 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
1: Yes the MB at the link will fit in your case.

2: See my canned below; which is intended to ensure that members do not inadvertently breach software licence laws;

Just a cautionary note, unless your OS disk is the full retail edition you cannot use it with a new MB as an OEM disk is tied to the original MB it was paired with, to use an OEM disk with a new MB is software piracy and therefore illegal.
Exceptions to the above are 1: If your MB is replaced under warranty and 2: If your MB is replaced out of warranty with an alternative type but same brand due to the original model no longer being available, an upgraded MB however will require the purchase of a new OS licence.

You could always use a free alternative such as Linux.

3: You will also need to purchase compatible Ram and of course a Windows disk and product key if you do not have them.

4: Your PSU is fine.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Hmm how would I find out that info about Windows? I got the computer through a rent to own place called Aarons and when I fully paid off the computer they gave me a bunch of discs. I think one was the windows disc.

Would I be able to swap the RAM in my current system to this new board? I would just buy the RAM with the board but I would like to wait to run Crucial on it to find out the RAM needed... unless you know? Id be happy to put the max allowed by the board in but whatever works is fine with me.

Also upon looking @ the Processor you listed it suggests the AMD 9-series chipset motherboard. Is this MB you provided me with, what they suggest? I like your combo but I am just curious.

Edited by heartgrave, 29 July 2012 - 09:57 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
The OS disk will be a Microsoft one and it will be clearly identified as one, if you have such a disk can you take a picture of it and upload it with your next reply so it can be checked for you.

If the present Ram is 800/1066 MHz then it may work with the new board but personally I would just purchase 2 X 4GB sticks that I know is compatible with the new MB.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

The OS disk will be a Microsoft one and it will be clearly identified as one, if you have such a disk can you take a picture of it and upload it with your next reply so it can be checked for you.

If the present Ram is 800/1066 MHz then it may work with the new board but personally I would just purchase 2 X 4GB sticks that I know is compatible with the new MB.

Alright here is the Speccy results for my current RAM:

RAM
Memory slots
Total memory slots 2
Used memory slots 2
Free memory slots 0
Memory
Type DDR2
Size 4096 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 399.0 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 6 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 6 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 6 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 18 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 2T
Physical Memory
Memory Usage 52 %
Total Physical 4.00 GB
Available Physical 1.90 GB
Total Virtual 8.23 GB
Available Virtual 5.56 GB
SPD
Number Of SPD Modules 2

Hopefully that will help you determine if the RAM is 800/1066? Looks like my current may only be 399MHz am I correct?

Would it do anything or effect my system in anyway for the bad if I was to go with the full 32G of RAM allowed by the MB?

Edited by heartgrave, 29 July 2012 - 10:28 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
The present DDR2 Ram would not be compatible with a new MB as MBs now use DDR3, they are not only physically different they also have different timings and voltages.

If you intend installing Windows 7 64-bit as your OS then 8GB of Ram is all that you need as you would not utilize any more than that and so would be a waste of your cash.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

The present DDR2 Ram would not be compatible with a new MB as MBs now use DDR3, they are not only physically different they also have different timings and voltages.

If you intend installing Windows 7 64-bit as your OS then 8GB of Ram is all that you need as you would not utilize any more than that and so would be a waste of your cash.

Oh ok cool then that works. Makes sense.

I was only going to install Windows 7 if I needed to when replacing the MB. I currently have Vista Home Premium SP2 64-bit.

So with Windows 7 all I would need is the 8G RAM, but yet the MB can handle 32G. What OS would you get that would utilize the 32G? It makes NO sense to release a product that can handle 32G RAM but the RAM not be utilized by the OS. Thats crazy in my opinion.

Edited by heartgrave, 29 July 2012 - 11:43 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
If you have a 64-bit Vista disk you could install that and then upgrade to W7 64-bit, it is less expensive to do it this way as it is done by way of a download and you make your own back up disk.

MBs can handle more Ram than what the OSs require as they must be able to cope with the demands that rendering video, heavy 3D modeling work or CAD users require, they demand the memory not the OS.

Memory limitations http://msdn.microsof...a366778(v=vs.85).aspx

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

If you have a 64-bit Vista disk you could install that and then upgrade to W7 64-bit, it is less expensive to do it this way as it is done by way of a download and you make your own back up disk.

MBs can handle more Ram than what the OSs require as they must be able to cope with the demands that rendering video, heavy 3D modeling work or CAD users require, they demand the memory not the OS.

Memory limitations http://msdn.microsof...a366778(v=vs.85).aspx

I am a gamer and enjoy/desire the highest quality and fastest frame rates while maintaining a low latency if this helps :P lol

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
:D

8GB is adequate then :thumbsup:

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Alright so I found the disk in a sealed disk sleeve. On the back of the sleeve, the sticker sealing it has a barcode and a bunch of numbers/letters under it. Below that says "The Microsoft operating system Certificate of Authenticity is a multicolored label located on the side or bottom of your computer. The COA contains the product key code, which might be required to complete the operating system setup."

On the disk it self it says, starting at the top, "Operating System" "Already installed on your computer" "Reinstallation DVD Windows Vista Home Premium 64BIT SP1" "The software is already installed on your computer. Use this DVD only to reinstall the operating system on a Dell PC." "This DVD is not for reinstallation of programs or drivers." "For distribution only with a new Dell PC."

The disk is purple and white.

Edited by heartgrave, 30 July 2012 - 05:41 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Thanks for the additional details :thumbsup:

Unfortunately you cannot legitimately or functionally use the disk with anything other than the Dell machine that it was intended for, this is down to the OEM licensing agreement + there may also be Dell specific software included that could conflict with your other software/drivers causing instability/crashes.