Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mobo upgrading

• Please log in to reply

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
I took a nap today and woke up just now to a dead computer. I was watching a movie with VLC and fell asleep. Woke up and the computer off. Hitting the power button does nothing, wont power up and makes no noise. I will post back what I find. I have not changed the wires yet for the case wires.

What I have found/done: I did the barebones setup again and I got the GFX card fan to kick on for about a matter of 1 second and it shut right off and I could not get it to do it again. I also checked all the case wires and there is no other places to put them and they all match up to their respective pins but the light was orange when it was working. Also I put in all my old parts and it still will not do anything. I am guessing now that its either the PSU or the case power button wire

Edited by heartgrave, 23 October 2012 - 02:15 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
The PSU may be bad, there is one very basic test that you can do to see if a PSU will start up or confirm if one is completely dead, remove the PSU from the system completely, also see highlighted text in the attachment below;

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Alright I did that and the fan did not turn on. Its the PSU then right? I put a paper clip in the PS_ON and COM right above it. I did this on the 24 pin diagram you provided. However I did not use a volt meter should I have done so?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
If the PSU did not activate then it does suggest that it is dead, I would have it tested at a tech store before purchasing a new one from them though.

No volt meter is required for the testing.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
so what was the test for then? i can connect it to a diff comp if needed to test it that way

Edited by heartgrave, 23 October 2012 - 02:27 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
The test is to see if the PSU will even switch on, the only thing it needs to be connected to is the power from the wall socket.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Waiting on the PSU to get here, should be tomorrow.

I want to give my dad all my old parts to start a new, better build of his own. He has one of them dell all in one pcs and in my opinion, its not a good computer for gaming. What I have is the MB, RAM, CPU, GFX card and PSU from my stock, OEM computer. I got it from a rent to own place called Aarons. If I give him these parts, will I run into issues putting a new OS and HDD on to the Motherboard?

Do you know of a Windows/HDD combo? OEM is fine. Windows 7 preferred but 8 is ok. Anything higher than 500GB. Budget is no concern. I checked on Newegg and could not find any.

Edited by heartgrave, 08 November 2012 - 07:53 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hello heartgrave

Can you please start a new topic and we will assist you there so as to avoid any possible confusion, list the brand and model name or number of each component for us, thanks.

heartgrave

heartgrave

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts
Forgot to update this post on the results of the PSU. The PSU was bad and getting the new one fixed it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Thanks for the follow up :thumbsup:

Advertisements