Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help, my cursor is possessed!

• Please log in to reply

teebug

teebug

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I am having trouble with my Dell laptop that I have had for about 3 years. Whenever I am typing, whether it is a Word document or even an e-mail message, my cursor will just move arbitrarily to another line and I will continue typing my message and notice a bunch of gibberish when I am done. I am a good typist and this is the only computer on which I have this issue. I have started watching my fingers and the screen while I type to make sure I am not hitting incorrect keys, but that is not the problem. If I don't constantly watch, I end up with documents that make no sense because while I may have been typing something on line 7, for example, my cursor just moves to another spot on another line and messes up whatever I am trying to type. Even while I am typing AND watching, I can see that my cursor moves to another spot and continues , but at least I am able to catch the mistake when it happens. This is really frustrating and I end up taking twice as long to finish whatever I am typing, or sometimes some of my text just deletes while I am typing and I have to type stuff all over again. I would love to just get a new laptop, but right now that is not possible financially. I am hoping someone can offer me some advice to help fix this issue.Even as I was typing this post, the stupid cursor moved twice and I had to backspace several times and move the cursor to the correct place-it's driving me nuts!
Thanks,
Teebug

Advertisements

SongCloud

SongCloud

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Are you using the built in trackpad or an external mouse? Sometimes the trackpad can get gummed up and cause the mouse to move around at the slightest touch. To see if this is the issue, try plugging in an external mouse (if you have one) and disabling the trackpad. If the issue no longer occurs, then the trackpad is at fault. If the issue still occurs, then something else may be going on.

Let me know what happens and we'll go from there.

teebug

teebug

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey SongCloud,
Thank's for answering my post so quicly. I am using the built-in trackpad, no external mouse. What would I have to do to disable the trackpad to see if this is the issue? I am not very computer/technically savvy, so I may ask you some dumb questions. I do not touch the pad while I am typing either, so I don't think that's the problem. This thing is nuts.