Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recover/Reformat in alternative ways

• Please log in to reply

fubitzu

fubitzu

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Good Day GeekstoGO

Geeks to Go help me alot when I got infected by a malware. I love this site because

of that. They have a very fast response, very accurate instructions and very good

tech/malware experts. Since then I go to this site often to read threads regarding

software/hardware and security.

About my topic, I have a Lenovo 3000N100 Windows XP. It's been years since it was

recover its OS. My only concern is that can I use an alternative drive/way to

reformat/recover my laptop, its because my dvd-drive is not really reading well any cd

now though it can still read but it's very slow. Maybe when I recover/reformat the

computer the dvd-drive would just stop and would result to an incomplete installation

of OS. Is there an alternative way to recover/reformat the computer besides the

laptop's dvd-drive? I borrowed an external dvd-drive but it seems that my bios doesn't

support USB. I'm not really sure.

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to post this. Any help would do sir. Sorry for

my English grammar. Thanks you very much in advance.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I found this:

With newest bios, found HERE I have booted a usb flash drive with Fedora Linux on N100.

Plug bootable drive in,
Enter bios on boot (F1) and change boot order.
OR, press F12 for boot device menu.

Try with your bios version, maybe it will work also.

Posted by Duck3 here: Possible to boot from external usb drive? BIOS update required/available?

fubitzu

fubitzu

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I've read your post and read about BIOS update it seems easy to follow instructions but if I got the BIOS update wrong for my system, everything could gone wrong and worse thing will happened. I didn't bother to search in LENOVO site before for my problem but thanks to your post I learned from reading their website that I could just shutdown the computer, insert the usb external dvd-rom then I've found out that USB ODD just pop up on the BIOS boot orderPosted Image. The external ODD blinks so I guess it worked just fine. I don't think BIOS update is necessary for now since my target for now is to reformat or recover the laptop. I got malware just last year and my system was fixed thanks to GeekstoGO especially to ESSEXBOYPosted Image. After my system recovered, of course the function of the system is not 100% anymore and some of my system application is not working properly in order but importantly the malware is gone for good. System recovery is also malfunction too.

Thanks for the help ZTRUKER sir.Posted Image You can now close the thread.

Edited by fubitzu, 28 July 2012 - 10:15 PM.