Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell 17R n7010 Won't Boot, ZeroAccess possible [Solved]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DoctorCrow

DoctorCrow

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,
I am having a fairly serious and stressful problem with my laptop, a Dell Inspiron n7010. It basically started where after the screen that says "Dell" and f2 for set up and f11 for boot options, I get a blank/black screen with a blinking cursor or underscore. The day of or before this started happening Malwarebytes found something called a rootkit and said it needed to reboot to quarantine successfully which I did. I'm not entirely sure if the rootkit is the problem for all this but I feel like the possibilities are high based on all the searches for solutions I've done. I've seen problems similar to this one in the forums which I searched first but didn't find any for my laptop; so I was worried it might cause problems if I followed the advice in them. I'm not too advanced of a computer user so detailed advice would be great! I do have a clean (though quite slow) computer I can work from. I also have(had) recovery disks for my system but the first one seems to be damaged or possibly bent. I can't really tell from looking at it but I hear it tapping in the drive and slowing to a stop periodically. As of now I've tried Windows' start-up repair, which finds no problems. I wanted to return it to a restore point but I could not find the one I created. With all my data backed up I tried re-installing Windows 7 by booting from CD, however in the process it required a reboot, which led back to the black blinky screen. For now I've set the boot order to boot from CD, I somehow scanned for hardware problems too and it found none. I wish I could remember how but it involved opening a symptom tree and I had it search from the "Computer won't boot" section.

I apologize if I've given any unnecessary information I'll do my best to be competent in following what you tell me. Please let me know if you need more information (and if it's not too much trouble how to get that information). Thanks!

Advertisements

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
Hi, DoctorCrow! Posted ImageMy nick name is CompCav and I will be assisting you with your Malware/Security problems. Please make sure you read all of the instructions and fixes thoroughly before continuing with them. If you have any questions or you are unsure about anything, just ask and I will help you out. :)

If you have resolved the issues you were originally experiencing, or have received help elsewhere, please let me know so that this topic can be closed.

Please make sure you are saving and printing the instructions out prior to each fix, this way you will have them on hand just in case you are unable to access this site. One of the steps I will be asking you to do requires you to boot into Safe Mode and this process will be much easier for you to perform if the instructions are printed out for you to follow.

If you are ready to get started, please review and follow these guidelines so that we resolve your issues in a timely and effective manner:
  • Logs from malware removal programs (OTL is one of them) can take some time to analyze. I need you to be patient while I analyze any logs you post.
  • Please make sure to carefully read any instructions that I give you. Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.
  • If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
  • These instructions have been specifically tailored to your computer and the issues you are experiencing with your computer. These instructions are not suitable for any other computer, even if the issues are fairly similar.
  • Do not do things I do not ask for, such as running a spyware scan on your computer. However, the one thing that you should always do, is to make sure your anti-virus definitions are up-to-date!
  • Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Just do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file inside your post and submit.
  • You must reply within four days failure to reply will result in the topic being closed!
  • Please do not PM me directly for help. If you have any questions, post them in this topic. PM me only if I have not responded to your last post in 2 days.
  • Lastly, I am no magician. I will try very hard to fix your issues, but no promises can be made. Also be aware that some infections are so severe that you might need to ultimately reformat your hard drive and reinstall the operating system.
    Don't worry, this only happens in severe cases, but it sadly does happen. Please have the software and storage media for backing up your data available.

Please check you Windows label on your laptop if you are unsure and then download the correct version of the Farbar Recovery Can Tool as directed. :)

For x32 (x86) bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to a flash drive.
For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.

To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Select English as the keyboard language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:
Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt
[*]Select Command Prompt
[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.
[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.
[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.
[*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter
Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
[*]The tool will start to run.
[*]When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
Posted Image
[*]Press Scan button.
[*]It will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive. Please copy and paste it to your reply.[/list]

DoctorCrow

DoctorCrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello, thank you very much for replying. Here's the log you asked for:

Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool Version: 25-07-2012 01
Ran by SYSTEM at 29-07-2012 20:54:06
Running from G:\
Windows 7 Home Premium (X64) OS Language: English(US)
The current controlset is ControlSet001

========================== Registry (Whitelisted) =============

HKLM\...\Run: [SynTPEnh] %ProgramFiles%\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe [2122536 2010-05-07] (Synaptics Incorporated)
HKLM\...\Run: [RtHDVCpl] C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\RAVCpl64.exe -s [10038304 2010-02-02] (Realtek Semiconductor)
HKLM\...\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe [166424 2010-04-07] (Intel Corporation)
HKLM\...\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe [391192 2010-04-07] (Intel Corporation)
HKLM\...\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe [413720 2010-04-07] (Intel Corporation)
HKLM\...\Run: [QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\QuickSet.exe [3203440 2010-04-06] (Dell Inc.)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe" [35696 2009-02-27] (Adobe Systems Incorporated)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [Dell DataSafe Online] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Online\DataSafeOnline.exe" /m [1807680 2010-02-09] ()
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [mcui_exe] "C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe" /runkey [1465304 2010-02-03] (McAfee, Inc.)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [Desktop Disc Tool] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Roxio\Roxio Burn\RoxioBurnLauncher.exe" [498160 2009-10-15] ()
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [Dell Webcam Central] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell Webcam\Dell Webcam Central\WebcamDell2.exe" /mode2 [409744 2009-06-24] (Creative Technology Ltd)
HKLM\...\RunOnce: [EDocs] C:\Program Files\Dell Inc\Dell Edoc Viewer\EDocs.exe /s [1511424 2009-01-06] (Dell Inc.)
HKLM-x32\...\RunOnce: [RPlauncher] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\RpLauncher.exe" [230720 2010-05-21] (SoftThinks)
HKLM-x32\...\RunOnce: [Launcher] C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup\Components\Scheduler\Launcher.exe [165184 2010-05-21] (Softthinks)
Winlogon\Notify\GoToAssist: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\GoToAssist\514\G2AWinLogon_x64.dll [X]
Winlogon\Notify\igfxcui: igfxdev.dll (Intel Corporation)
Tcpip\Parameters: [DhcpNameServer] 10.1.0.1 10.1.0.2

==================== Services (Whitelisted) ======

3 AdobeActiveFileMonitor8.0; C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Elements Organizer 8.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe [169312 2009-09-18] (Adobe Systems Incorporated)
2 McMPFSvc; "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc [355440 2009-12-14] (McAfee, Inc.)
2 mcmscsvc; "C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc [355440 2009-12-14] (McAfee, Inc.)
2 McNaiAnn; "C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc [355440 2009-12-14] (McAfee, Inc.)
2 McNASvc; "C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc [355440 2009-12-14] (McAfee, Inc.)
3 McODS; "C:\Program Files\mcafee\VirusScan\mcods.exe" [509416 2009-12-30] (McAfee, Inc.)
2 McOobeSv; "C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc [355440 2009-12-14] (McAfee, Inc.)
2 McProxy; "C:\Program Files\Common Files\mcafee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc [355440 2009-12-14] (McAfee, Inc.)
2 McShield; "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mcshield.exe" [199032 2010-01-05] (McAfee, Inc.)
2 mfefire; "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mfefire.exe" [244840 2010-01-05] (McAfee, Inc.)
2 mfevtp; "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\mfevtps.exe" [148520 2010-01-05] (McAfee, Inc.)
2 UNS; "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel® Management Engine Components\UNS\UNS.exe" [2320920 2009-09-30] (Intel Corporation)

========================== Drivers (Whitelisted) =============

3 cfwids; C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\cfwids.sys [62416 2010-01-05] (McAfee, Inc.)
3 mfeapfk; C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mfeapfk.sys [121504 2010-01-05] (McAfee, Inc.)
3 mfeavfk; C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mfeavfk.sys [189880 2010-01-05] (McAfee, Inc.)
3 mfefirek; C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mfefirek.sys [440688 2010-01-05] (McAfee, Inc.)
0 mfehidk; C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mfehidk.sys [528232 2010-01-05] (McAfee, Inc.)
1 mfenlfk; C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mfenlfk.sys [75288 2010-01-05] (McAfee, Inc.)
3 mferkdet; C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mferkdet.sys [93840 2010-01-05] (McAfee, Inc.)
0 mfewfpk; C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\mfewfpk.sys [279752 2010-01-05] (McAfee, Inc.)
2 TurboB; C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\TurboB.sys [13784 2009-11-02] ()

========================== NetSvcs (Whitelisted) ===========

============ One Month Created Files and Folders ==============

2012-07-29 20:53 - 2012-07-29 20:54 - 00000000 ____D C:\FRST
2012-07-29 15:03 - 2012-07-29 15:25 - 00000000 ____D C:\Windows\SMINST

============ 3 Months Modified Files ========================

========================= Known DLLs (Whitelisted) ============

========================= Bamital & volsnap Check ============

C:\Windows\System32\winlogon.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\wininit.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\wininit.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\explorer.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\explorer.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\services.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\User32.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\User32.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\SysWOW64\userinit.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\volsnap.sys => MD5 is legit

==================== EXE ASSOCIATION =====================

HKLM\...\.exe: exefile => OK
HKLM\...\exefile\DefaultIcon: %1 => OK
HKLM\...\exefile\open\command: "%1" %* => OK

========================= Memory info ======================

Percentage of memory in use: 14%
Total physical RAM: 3892.52 MB
Available physical RAM: 3328.68 MB
Total Pagefile: 3890.67 MB
Available Pagefile: 3314.7 MB
Total Virtual: 8192 MB
Available Virtual: 8191.9 MB

======================= Partitions =========================

1 Drive c: (OS) (Fixed) (Total:451.01 GB) (Free:430.81 GB) NTFS
2 Drive e: (GRMCPRXFRER_EN_DVD) (CDROM) (Total:3 GB) (Free:0 GB) UDF
4 Drive g: () (Removable) (Total:1.86 GB) (Free:1.86 GB) FAT32
5 Drive x: (Boot) (Fixed) (Total:0.03 GB) (Free:0.03 GB) NTFS
6 Drive y: (?) (Fixed) (Total:14.65 GB) (Free:14.55 GB) NTFS ==>[System with boot components (obtained from reading drive)]

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B
Disk 1 No Media 0 B 0 B
Disk 2 Online 1940 MB 0 B

Partitions of Disk 0:
===============

Partition ### Type Size Offset
------------- ---------------- ------- -------
Partition 1 OEM 100 MB 1024 KB
Partition 2 Primary 14 GB 101 MB
Partition 3 Primary 451 GB 14 GB

==================================================================================

Disk: 0
Partition 1
Type : DE
Hidden: Yes
Active: No

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
* Volume 5 FAT Partition 100 MB Healthy Hidden

==================================================================================

Partition 2
Type : 07
Hidden: No
Active: Yes

* Volume 1 Y ? NTFS Partition 14 GB Healthy

Partition 3

* Volume 2 C OS NTFS Partition 451 GB Healthy

Partitions of Disk 2:
===============

Partition 1 Primary 1911 MB 4032 KB

Disk: 2
Partition 1
Type : 0B

* Volume 4 G FAT32 Removable 1911 MB Healthy

==========================================================

Last Boot: 2010-08-20 04:17

======================= End Of Log ==========================

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

I wanted to return it to a restore point but I could not find the one I created. With all my data backed up I tried re-installing Windows 7 by booting from CD, however in the process it required a reboot, which led back to the black blinky screen.

The problematic re-install seems to have created an additional primary partition.

Do you want to try and work with this to correct or are you ready to try to restore to factory image?

Regards,

CompCav

DoctorCrow

DoctorCrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I managed to get my recover disks to work yesterday before I responded (I forgot to mention). If that doesn't make a difference let's try to work with the additional partition to correct.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
  • Download ListParts to a USB flash drive.
  • Download ListParts64 to a USB flash drive.
  • Plug the USB drive into the infected machine.

Boot your computer into Recovery Environment

• Restart the computer and press F8 repeatedly until the Advanced Options Menu appears.
  • Select Repair your computer.
  • Select Language and click Next
  • Enter password (if necessary) and click OK, you should now see the screen below ...

Posted Image

• Select the Command Prompt option.
  • A command window will open.
  • Type notepad then hit Enter.
  • Notepad will open.
  • Click File > Open then select Computer.
  • Note down the drive letter for your USB Drive.
  • Close Notepad.
[*]Back in the command window ....
  • Type e:/listparts.exe and hit Enter (where e: is replaced by the drive letter for your USB drive)
  • Type e:/listparts64.exe and hit Enter (where e: is replaced by the drive letter for your USB drive)
  • FRST will start to run.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • When finished scanning it will make a log Result.txt on the flash drive.
[*]Close the command window.
[*]On your good computer in normal mode insert the USB drive and post me the Result.txt log please.
[/list]

DoctorCrow

DoctorCrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ListParts by Farbar Version: 25-07-2012
Ran by SYSTEM (administrator) on 30-07-2012 at 11:26:39
Windows 7 (X64)
Running From: G:\
Language: 0409

Percentage of memory in use: 12%
Available physical RAM: 3387.79 MB
Available Pagefile: 3364.74 MB
Available Virtual: 8191.91 MB

1 Drive c: (?) (Fixed) (Total:14.65 GB) (Free:14.55 GB) NTFS ==>[Drive with boot components (obtained from BCD)]
2 Drive d: (OS) (Fixed) (Total:451.01 GB) (Free:430.81 GB) NTFS
3 Drive e: (GRMCPRXFRER_EN_DVD) (CDROM) (Total:3 GB) (Free:0 GB) UDF
5 Drive g: () (Removable) (Total:1.86 GB) (Free:1.86 GB) FAT32
6 Drive x: (Boot) (Fixed) (Total:0.03 GB) (Free:0.03 GB) NTFS

Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B
Disk 1 No Media 0 B 0 B

Partitions of Disk 0:
===============

======================================================================================================

Partition 1

======================================================================================================

Partition 2

* Volume 1 C ? NTFS Partition 14 GB Healthy

Partition 3

* Volume 2 D OS NTFS Partition 451 GB Healthy

Partitions of Disk 2:
===============

Partition 1

****** End Of Log ******

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
  • Click Start and in the Search Programs and files box type Notepad.exe then hit Enter.
  • An empty Notepad file will open.
  • Copy and paste the contents of the quote box below into Notepad.

Disk=0 Partition=3 active

• Click Format and ensure Wordwrap is unchecked.
  • Save as Fix.txt to the flash drive where ListParts is located.

Next

• Restart the computer and press F8 repeatedly until the Advanced Options Menu appears.
  • Enter password (if necessary) and click OK, you should now see the screen below ...

Posted Image

• Type notepad then hit Enter.
  • Notepad will open.
  • Click File > Open then select Computer.
  • Note down the drive letter for your USB Drive.
  • Close Notepad.
[*]Back in the command window ....
  • Type e:/listparts.exe and hit Enter (where e: is replaced by the drive letter for your USB drive)
  • Type e:/listparts64.exe and hit Enter (where e: is replaced by the drive letter for your USB drive)
  • FRST will start to run.
  • Press the Fix button.
  • ListParts will process the script in Fix.txt
  • When finished please press the Scan button.
  • A log Result.txt will be saved to the flash drive.
[*]Close the command window.
[*]Boot back into normal mode and post me the Result.txt log please.
[/list]

DoctorCrow

DoctorCrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
When trying to boot in normal mode it said "BOOTMGR is missing Press ctrl+alt+del to restart"

Here's Result.txt:

ListParts by Farbar Version: 25-07-2012
Ran by SYSTEM (administrator) on 30-07-2012 at 13:58:32
Windows 7 (X64)
Running From: G:\
Language: 0409

Percentage of memory in use: 12%
Available physical RAM: 3390.36 MB
Available Pagefile: 3376.83 MB
Available Virtual: 8191.91 MB

1 Drive c: (?) (Fixed) (Total:14.65 GB) (Free:14.55 GB) NTFS ==>[System with boot components (obtained from reading drive)]
2 Drive d: (OS) (Fixed) (Total:451.01 GB) (Free:430.81 GB) NTFS
3 Drive e: (GRMCPRXFRER_EN_DVD) (CDROM) (Total:3 GB) (Free:0 GB) UDF
5 Drive g: () (Removable) (Total:1.86 GB) (Free:1.86 GB) FAT32
6 Drive x: (Boot) (Fixed) (Total:0.03 GB) (Free:0.03 GB) NTFS

Disk 0 Online 465 GB 0 B
Disk 1 No Media 0 B 0 B

Partitions of Disk 0:
===============

Partition 1

Partition 2

* Volume 1 C ? NTFS Partition 14 GB Healthy

Partition 3

* Volume 2 D OS NTFS Partition 451 GB Healthy

Partitions of Disk 2:
===============

Partition 1

****** End Of Log ******

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

Posted Image

Type the following lines and press ENTER after each one and wait until it says it completed to do the next one.

bootrec /fixmbr

bootrec /fixboot

• Boot back into normal mode and post me an update on if it booted properly or any error message.

Advertisements

DoctorCrow

DoctorCrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Same error message after putting in the commands; "BOOTMGR is missing Press ctrl+alt+del to restart". Also I've been going into System Recovery Options through the Windows 7 CD because F8 hasn't been able to initiate safe mode for me. Also, the Window's 7 from the install that may have created the partition probably succeeded since I saw that OS in the window after clicking Repair your Computer a while back. But after using the Recovery Disks yesterday that Windows 7 was replaced with the Windows 7 Premium I used to have. So all the OS installations may be working to a certain degree.

Edited by DoctorCrow, 30 July 2012 - 01:41 PM.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts

Posted Image

Type the following lines and press ENTER after each one and wait until it says it completed to do the next one.

bootrec /rebuildbcd
  • Boot back into normal mode and post me an update on if it booted properly or any error message.

DoctorCrow

DoctorCrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
After booting from CD and getting to the Command Prompt, I put in the command and it said:
"Please wait, since this may take a while...

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully. "

Upon rebooting I get the same message as the last two times. Another thing I found weird was the command prompt was coming from the X drive, I don't know if that's normal but that's what it has been doing.

CompCav

CompCav

Member 5k

• Expert
  • 12,454 posts
X is correct for the recovery console.

I think we need to try the factory reset.

You can do that with your DVD's that you made. You boot up on them first one and it should lead you through the process to get to the factory reset. Afterwards you will need to update the antivirus, SP1 if it did not come with it as well as several other windows updates.

If the first disk is acting corrupt you can try to make a copy of it, and try with the copy.

If you have questions on the process please let me know. For this to work correctly it will need to reformat the two primary partitions on your hard drive and only create one.

DoctorCrow

DoctorCrow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
How do I get it to reformat both primary partitions?

Edited by DoctorCrow, 30 July 2012 - 02:46 PM.