Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

.NET framework 3.5 causing laptop nightmare :(

• Please log in to reply

wickedpixie

wickedpixie

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi!
Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong forum but I'm new, I'm a computer novice, it's late and my laptop is scrambling my brain :confused:

A couple of weeks ago my ASUS F5 laptop (running windows Vista Home Premium SP2) started playing up. The screen would freeze and the laptop stopped responding, the only way to go was hitting the rest button (ctrl Alt Del doesnt work). This began happening more frequently as the days went on. I found it was usually when I was accessing the internet or had more than 1 program running at a time. Opening Firefox and Thunderbird together was a recipe for disaster, anything with flash or multiple images was a definite no go. I checked windows task manager and noticed that my physical memory (usually at about 40%) was running at 95-100% immediately before the freezing.

I used the windows memory checker to make sure my memory was ok, all is fine apparently. I've got 2GB RAM and a partitioned hard drive with 106GB free on the D Drive and 78/116GB free on the C drive. I've dismantled the laptop and given it a blinking good clean so it's not overheating. I've tried using different browsers; makes no difference, I just get "not responding" every 5 minutes and a complete freeze randomly, besides of which the actual windows bits are lagging like crazy too (5 minutes to open the start menu?)

I scanned for viruses (used AVG and then Avast) neither found anything. I also ran malwarebytes and hijackthis, also both clean.

In a last ditch attempt to restore the dratted thing to a usable condition I backed up my files and started over.

This resulted in a super speedy and very happy laptop. Then the windows updates started coming. I installed the lot all in one hit every time they popped up, all good. After a day or 2 I put my files and programs back on. Lovely. Then I got a set of "important" updates, one of which was the .NET framework 3.5 upgrade. I installed them and my laptop's back to square 1 :upset:

So I deleted everything again and started over; this time I installed the updates one at a time (I've been here 10 days!) all good until the .Net framework thing went back on. I've tried uninstalling it, no joy, I've tried a system restore, not working and I'm not loving the thought of having to reset the thing for a third time.

Basically I have to have this .NET framework 3.5 thing for the ATI CCC to work. If I dont my graphics card drivers wont update and nothing works anyway :wacko: but when it's installed my programs are taking an age to open, my internet is painfully slow and more often than not the whole damned thing just freezes up after 10 minutes.

Help!

Now it's doing this:
Now it's doing this:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: a
BCP1: 00001014
BCP2: 00000002
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 826717C0
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini072912-01.dmp
C:\Users\Gael\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-184718-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\Gael\AppData\Local\Temp\WER2C70.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft....63&clcid=0x0409

:huh:

Edited by wickedpixie, 29 July 2012 - 05:55 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Please zip and upload the minidump file.

Also, please run WhoCrashed and post the results here.

Why do you need ATI CCC? Why do you need to update the graphics drives if they are working?

Can you not install .NET 3.5 and instead go with .NET 4.0, see if that makes a difference?

Have you tried doing a System Restore to before you installed .NET 3.5? That should fix the problem. If it does, then deselect it the next time it's offered and instead try 4.0.

wickedpixie

wickedpixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi Ztruker! Thanks for the reply.

Minidump file? Sorry. I really am a novice ;)

I'll have a go at downloading WhoCrashed, might take a while given that nothing is working right at the moment :(

The graphics drivers are working but there's a little ! in a yellow triangle in my device manager. So I'm pretty sure they're not working right. I'll try leaving it and see what happens.

I've cleared everything out and started over again as it was the only way I could get back online. I'm still getting a scrambled screen and freezing randomly and it's taking an age to do anything. I've had a whole load of new and interesting error messages too. I've hidden the 3.5 updates this time, I had several system restore points from before the 3.5 update but I tried all of them and every time it ran and then said it couldn't complete the restore.

*update*
Got WhoCrashed to download and run. Which bit do I post?

Edited by wickedpixie, 30 July 2012 - 10:03 AM.

wickedpixie

wickedpixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Back again.

Been having a nightmare this afternoon. Everything's screwey. I've installed a load of windows updates but when I restart none of them are showing as being installed. I've had to reinstall the drivers for my mouse and internet 3 times, every time I restart it's telling me it's configuring updates that arent there and now I'm getting messages telling me there are corrupt files all over the place. I ran chkdsk but they're still popping up, mostly for my browsers and antivirus.

Then it started crashing again :( First 2 times were scrambly screens (whocrashed didnt show anything when I ran it after these) and then I got some kind of bluescreen message when it went the last time but it didnt stay up long enough for me to read. I looked for the file that was in the message when I finally got up and running again, C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini073112-01.dmp, but it just comes up "file not found". I'm guessing that's the one you wanted me to zip and upload?

Anyways, here's the WhoCrashed gubbins:

Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Tue 31/07/2012 00:04:44 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini073112-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xEE7D5)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF825267D5, 0xFFFFFFFFA1D8688C, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 31/07/2012 00:04:44 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x1E)
Bugcheck code: 0x8E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF825267D5, 0xFFFFFFFFA1D8688C, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a kernel-mode application generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntkrpamp.exe .
Google query: ntkrpamp.exe KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Conclusion

2 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

ntkrpamp.exe

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Appologies for the delay, it's taken me 8 hours to get the internet to work :(

wickedpixie

wickedpixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Just crashed again

On Tue 31/07/2012 14:37:16 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini073112-03.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsnx.sys (aswSnx+0x16376)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF82733770, 0xFFFFFFFF96FFF6AC, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswsnx.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! Virtualization Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsnx.sys (avast! Virtualization Driver, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswsnx.sys AVAST Software KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M

On Tue 31/07/2012 14:37:16 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: aswsnx.sys (aswSnx+0x16376)
Bugcheck code: 0x8E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000005, 0xFFFFFFFF82733770, 0xFFFFFFFF96FFF6AC, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\aswsnx.sys
product: avast! Antivirus System
company: AVAST Software
description: avast! Virtualization Driver
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a kernel-mode application generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: aswsnx.sys (avast! Virtualization Driver, AVAST Software).
Google query: aswsnx.sys AVAST Software KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
uninstall then reinstall avast!...
when installing all the windows updates disable your AV while doing the updates and create a restore point in between batches of updates...that way if / when you have a problem you will be able to narrow down the possible suspect updates that's causing the problem...and then use restore to go back prior to the problem...then try those updates one at a time creating a restore point between each update...this includes rebooting then use the computer normally between updates so you will know all's well before the next update

wickedpixie

wickedpixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks Happyrock :) (love your sig btw)

I uninstalled and reinstalled Avast twice when I got the corrupt file messages last night, it doesn't seem to be making much difference. It's not my usual antivirus (was recommended after all the random started with the laptop) I've tried running it, saving then running it, running it as Admin.... I've taken it off and put my AVG back on so I can actually get online to reply! Incidentally since I did that everything seems to have speeded up and *touch wood* I haven't had a bluescreen or scrambly crash in the last few hours.....

... tempting fate.

I've been installing the updates a couple at a time, most of them are not asking for a restart but I'm doing that anyway. They're showing as successful on my update history but still not showing when I go to installed updates. Since I started over the last time I seem to have got a lot less updates needing to be installed.

The computer is still freezing up randomly though, mostly when I've got several windows open.

Perhaps I should just muddle through with the slowness and start saving for something new :(

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to get some speed back...
click on start...run...type in msconfig...select it in the results above the search box...click on startup tab...
uncheck everything EXCEPT your AV and firewall...if its a laptop you have to be careful about what you uncheck or your touch pad won't worlk so leave Synaptics or alps checked...reboot

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive and compress drive.... you will have to stick around for a few minutes until it asks about sub folders...say yes and go grab a soda cause it's going to take about 10 to 15 minutes

wickedpixie

wickedpixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for the speedy reply :) Apologies in advance for the massive list of *probably stupid* questions which follow:

In that msconfig thing there are only 2 things that aren't antivirus, touchpad or firewall. Are these all things that start running when I switch the laptop on? I'm not sure what they do, will I be able to put them back on if something goes wrong?

One is SM56hlpr.exe which I'm guessing is a modem? Do I need that If I'm using wifi?
One is my internet wifi connection, I'm guessing that will start up when I connect to the internet?

Also, two of them are for the touchpad, I'm using a mouse, can I switch them off?

I think it might have been the indexing that was screwing it up earlier, I got lots of 'Windows Search Indexer is not working' messages and I couldn't move or copy anything. I shall go switch it off and make my 50th cup of coffee since my last sleep (3 days ago) Stupid laptop. I really need to do some work!

*edit* It's telling me access is denied :huh:

Edited by wickedpixie, 31 July 2012 - 06:06 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

only 2 things that aren't antivirus, touchpad or firewall. Are these all things that start running when I switch the laptop on?

yep...

will I be able to put them back on if something goes wrong

yep

two of them are for the touchpad, I'm using a mouse, can I switch them off?

yep

One is SM56hlpr.exe which I'm guessing is a modem? Do I need that If I'm using wifi?
One is my internet wifi connection, I'm guessing that will start up when I connect to the internet?

anything you uncheck just doesn't load with windows but if you need it windows will launch it...

Uninstall the Windows Search Engine

Open the Control Panel in the Start menu.... Open Programs and Features in the Control Panel.

Note: If Programs and Features is not available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.

Click Turn Windows features on or off on the left side of the Programs and Features window.
Uncheck Windows Search and then click OK.

Advertisements

wickedpixie

wickedpixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thank you :happy: Have shut those off and it's a little bit faster.

I can't find Windows Search in the Windows Features list.

There is an "indexing options" thing in there though and it says it has indexed 639 items and it's only indexing internet explorer history. The files that I was getting "access denied" for are all in the internet explorer folder.

Now I'm getting "windows explorer has stopped working" messages again *headdesk*

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
for indexing...

Attached Thumbnails

• indexing.jpg

wickedpixie

wickedpixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Sorry, should have explained that better. I found the Windows Features but there's no option for Windows Search on the list that comes up.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Note: If Programs and Features is not available, change View by to Large icons at the top right of the Control Panel.

Attached Thumbnails

• large icons.jpg

wickedpixie

wickedpixie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've got the programmes and features bit, I've opened it up but there's no 'windows search' on the list :confused: