Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Router and Modem same IP

• Please log in to reply

AVCom

AVCom

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Artellos, I really enjoyed reading this thread as I too have a similar situation.

I have a QWest DSL modem (Q1000)and a DLink router (DIR-655) that had the same IP address (192.168.0.1). My network works fine as I have my DLink plugged into a Ooma VOIP box, then the Ooma box connects to the modem.

Everything works fine that way, but I wanted to plug my DLink directly into the modem, bypassing the Ooma device. My thinking is I might get better speed by doing this.

So to eliminate IP confilct, I changed my DLink router to 192.168.0.2 and changed the appropriate NIC gateway setting and DNS setting. No problems.

But when I plug the Dlink into a port on the Qwest modem, I get nothing. Dlink does not "see" the modem. I've tried DHCP on and off in the modem with no difference.

Any advice?

Connected through Marvell Yukon 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
IP Address 192.168.0.110
Subnet mask 255.255.255.0
Gateway server 192.168.0.2
Preferred DNS server 192.168.0.2
DHCP Disabled

Edited by AVCom, 28 July 2012 - 01:38 PM.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello there AVCom,

I split off your topic from the thread you replied to to prevent things from getting cluttered and hard to manage. :)

First things first, Does the QWest DSL modem have routing functions built-in?
What exactly does the Ooma VOIP box do?

but I wanted to plug my DLink directly into the modem

Do you plug the ethernet cable on the DLink side into the LAN or WAN port?

If you have connected your DLink to the QWest modem, can you ping 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2?

Regards,
Olrik

AVCom

AVCom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
First, thanks for your help.

Yes, the Qwest DSL has router ports. http://www.actiontec...uct.php?pid=200 I am not using the wireless functions or firewall.

I have the Ooma Telo: http://www.ooma.com/ It is plugged into a Qwest DSL port.

The DLink is connected to the Ooma via the WAN port. This configuration works fine.

"If you have connected your DLink to the QWest modem, can you ping 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2?" - I can only ping .0.2

Thanks again.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Alright.. Just to get things clear I drew up of how I think the current situation is.

Another question, does the Ooma box have an IP address as well?

[attachment=59315:current-situation.png]

Regards,
Olrik

AVCom

AVCom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Great graphic!

Yes, The Ooma has an IP of 172.27.35.1

Clue: I can plug my laptop directly into the Qwest and access the modem's setup page and the internet. The laptop is set to DHCP. My desktop has a static IP.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
That IP address on the Ooma box makes no sense... :confused:

Then again, you did daisy chain the 3 devices each into their own network because you used the Internet port on the DLink router.

Try the following setup. I hope this works, and I hope the graphic is clear enough. ;)

[attachment=59316:new-situation-1.png]

I assumed you use a cable in this situation for the PC. The red cable is also replaceable by Wireless :)
The DNS Servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are the public google DNS servers that I personally find very reliable. That's why I choose those for the DHCP settings.

Regards,
Olrik

AVCom

AVCom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the response.

The Ooma IP was set at the factory. In looking at my Dlink routers WAN Default Gateway IP, I see that it is the same as the Ooma. Obviously that is normal.

So I unplugged my Dlink WAN cable from the Ooma and plugged it into the Qwest. The Dlink WAN Default Gateway IP went blank and this is the log error file text:

"The addressing of the Internet side learnt thru DHCP conflicts with the addressing selected for the LAN side. Internet communications will be disabled until you have changed the LAN side addressing to resolve the problem."

I will now try your solution.

AVCom

AVCom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK. I tried it your way. Very interesting results.

First, I could now ping the Qwest modem. My desktop (hooked to my Dlink) network icon said I had internet access. Nope.

But then I lost the internet on my laptop which is connected directly to the Qwest.

I then also lost my VOIP phone.

So I hooked it the Dlink back to the Ooma and it all works again.

Now....going to the Qwest setup page, I looked at the "Routing" configuration.

Dynamic Routing is turned off

Static routing has no IP info.

Would your solution work if I added my DLink router IP to the Qwest Static Routing page?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Simple answer; No.

Complicated answer;
No, because the dynamic routing is when you are actually using the routing functions on the DLink. In the situation that I set up you are using it as a switch/Wireless access point. The routing functions only get used when you use the Internet port on the DLink.

Question;
What happens when you disconnect the Ooma box and the DLink router and connect the laptop straight to the Qwest modem?

Regards,
Olrik

AVCom

AVCom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Question;
What happens when you disconnect the Ooma box and the DLink router and connect the laptop straight to the Qwest modem?

Regards,
Olrik

Laptop works fine.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
What happens when you follow my setup but leave out the Ooma box then hook up the laptop to the DLink?
What IP address and default gateway does the laptop get when you hook it up to the DLink? And can you reach the Internet?

Could you perhaps make a screenshot of the IP information of both the Modem and the Router? :)

Regards,
Olrik

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
AVCom, are you still in need of help? Or have you resolved the issue?

Regards,
Olrik

AVCom

AVCom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks. The issue is resolved. I had a friend who is an IT guy look at it and was able to see the conflict between the Dlink and the Qwest modem. The modem address was 192.168.0.1 and the Dlink was 192.168.0.2. He changed the modem to 192.168.1.1. Fixed.

I do appreciate your help in this. It's been a learning experience for me. Thanks so much.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Thank you for posting back! We like to know what happened good or bad ;)

Just to add though, in a normal network environment that IP scheme you are using makes no sense, since you now have 2 different networks in your home ;)
But as long as it works for you that's all good. It's just not what you would normally find in a home environment.

Regards,
Olrik