Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Artifacts and BSOD

• Please log in to reply

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Hi there,

This is my first post on this forum. I used search to find similar problems, but my problem is different from what I found.

A while ago my computer started to show visual artifacts. I figured my graphics card is probably dying. So I went to test the card in a friends pc. Before I put the card in his PC I cleaned the dust off of it. I ran 3Dmark06 on his PC without any problems. When I put the card back in my own pc it ran fine for a while. But later I got more artifacts. Also online streams did have audio but only a green screen. When I turned on my pc last night everything went wrong. My desktop icons were gone, my windows 7 theme was gone, the desktop was black and I could not run most of my software. After rebooting the pc ran a test on my harddrives, but I still got the same problems. I did a clean Windows 7 install. I installed all software and drivers and everything seemed fine. But when I launched Starcraft II I got my artifacts back. I got a BSOD and my computer crashed. I also got a pop up saying "Display driver AMD driver has stopped responding and has succesfully recoverd". I can still run Windows, but I get artifacts when running visually demanding applications. I am afraid windows will die again.

Could it still be my graphics card or maybe my motherboard?

Specs:

Motherboard: Asus M4a79T Deluxe (AM3, 790FX)
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition (3,4Ghz) (quad-core)
Memory: GeIl 2x2Gb 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel kit (4Gb total)
Graphics Card: Sapphire HD4890 Vapor-x 1Gb DDR5 OverClocked Edition

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Hi DeZiekeNon

Possible causes include heat, bad PSU, driver or memory issues.

The PSU should be checked first as it has the potential to do the most damage + they can cause overheating which can lead to artifacts.

Please provide the PSU details, brand and model name or number please.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I don't think it is my PSU. It is a high 850 watt PSU: Zalman ZM850-HP (850watt). When I feel with my hand the PSU is not hot at all.

Temperatures when pc is idle at desktop. GPU: 62C, CPU 43C, MB 37C. I have got a lot of quality case fans so my system is cooled pretty good. I still think the GPU temp is maybe too high indeed.

Edited by DeZiekeNon, 29 July 2012 - 12:38 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Try starting in Safe Mode and see if the issue is present http://windows.micro...er-in-safe-mode

If you are able to please run Speedfan and post a screenshot of the results;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

To capture and post a screenshot;

Click on the ALT key + PRT SCR key..its on the top row..right hand side..now click on start...all programs...accessories...paint....left click in the white area ...press CTRL + V...click on file...click on save...save it to your desktop...name it something related to the screen your capturing... BE SURE TO SAVE IT AS A .JPG ...otherwise it may be to big to upload... then after typing in any response you have... click on browse...desktop...find the screenshot..select it and click on the upload button...then on the lower left...after it says upload successful...click on add reply like you normally would.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Just for your information: I know how to do basic things as boot in safe mode and capture screenshots. I appreciate the thoroughness of your answers, but omitting those details might allow you to answer more quickly;)

In safe mode there are no problems. I already had speedfan installed and attached the image.

Attached Thumbnails

• speedfan.jpg

Shintaro

Shintaro

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Mate,

Artifacts are from faulty video RAM.
Try running MemtestCL http://folding.stanf...h/DownloadUtils

EDIT: Sorry that one above will might require other software. My apologies. This might be better: http://www.technibbl...ry-stress-test/

Again my apologies.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Shintaro, 29 July 2012 - 02:10 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Speedfan is showing high readings on one of the +12V and +5V rails, can you run HWMonitor and again post a screenshot of the results as the Speedfan readings may be anomalous http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html

Sorry about the too much information but unfortunately we cannot assume that every person who requests help knows what they are doing.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
After a small memory test the result is: [29-7-2012 22:59:04] Pass completed (7793315 errors found). I don't think 7793315 errors is a good thing.

I attached a screenshot of the hardware monitor results. I guess the voltages look better here.

Do you guys agree that I have replace my graphics card?

Attached Thumbnails

• hardwaremonitor.png

Shintaro

Shintaro

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Sounds like the video card has reached the end of it's useful life. Sorry.

Just out of interest is the video card fan spinning?

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
I will buy a new one then. And yes the fan is still spinning.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,744 posts
Thanks for the additional screenshot and yes the voltages look okay so the card may be at it`s end of life.
One other test you can run to stress test your card http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Now I am confused. Furmark ran without any problems. Is this possible while the card memory is defective? I attached the results.

Attached Thumbnails

• furmark.jpg

Shintaro

Shintaro

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
That is because one is looking for errors and the other is only looking at performance.

DeZiekeNon

DeZiekeNon

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Ok. Sounds logical. I bought a XFX radeon hd 6950 dual fan 2gb graphics card. I will post again when I replaced my old card and let you know if my problem is fixed.

Shintaro

Shintaro

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
Please completely remove the old drivers
So I would suggest, with the old card still in the computer, remove the drivers.
Shut down the computer.
Install the new card.
Start the computer.

Edited by Shintaro, 29 July 2012 - 04:53 PM.