Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cannot connect to the internet wirelessly

• Please log in to reply

Ben T

Ben T

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Laptop is a HP Pavilion dv9000 that has been upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate from Vista 32 bit. Wireless connection has been working fine until recently. Now the computer doesn't even recognise my home network. Device Manager is clean with NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller under Network Adapters. Tried to install third party USB 2.0 Wireless 802.11N but it wouldn't load or install. Ethernet connection works fine. This computer doesn't find any networks, even the neighbours. My network is working because I have 2 other machines accessing it and they can use the internet. Windows Network Diagnostics doesn't help at all.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Hi Ben T

Has the wireless connection ever worked since you installed Windows 7?

Apparently HP do not provide Windows 7 drivers for your model of notebook, see http://h10025.www1.h...cname=c01892673

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Yes, Windows 7 has been installed and running for a long time. This connection issue just appeared a couple of weeks ago and I tried everything I know to fix it but without success.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Thanks for the additional details :thumbsup:

Couple of things to check, is the wireless switch fully in the on position and the switch appear to be working correctly, on next boot up enter the BIOS and check that the wireless facility is enabled.

The BIOS access key could either be F1, F10 or F11 if you are not sure.

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
I just noticed the wireless switch stays lit in either position.

Just now, the laptop found and installed Broadcom 4321 AG 802.11 a/b/g draft - n Wi-Fi Adapter and is now working. Wireless switch is also working, blue when on, orange when off.

I guess it needed a driver.

Will post again tomorrow with the continued function of wireless switch whether good or bad.

...Laptop lost connectivity again although the wireless switch is blue in the on position. My guess is that the wireless switch is bad. Is there any way to test this switch?

Update...wireless switch light is orange no matter its position. Also, computer will only boot to Windows Boot Manager screen (only option is to choose OS to boot) and Advance Boot Options (safe mode, etc.) In other words, I can't boot to check the BIOS.

Edited by Ben T, 01 August 2012 - 12:47 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
I would check the mini card module itself first as it may have a loose connection + it is a far easier task, checking the switch itself involves almost a full dismantle of the notebook and this is a task best left to a qualified tech or suitably competent person, see page 133 and 134 for checking the module http://h10032.www1.h...l/c01311536.pdf be sure to disconnect all power before you begin and ground yourself before touching your Ram and wireless module, you can do this by touching a metal surface such as a household radiator.

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Opened up laptop and checked mini card module for loose connections. Removed and reinstalled module and wires. It looked secure. Fired up laptop but still unable to connect wirelessly. May just buy a powerline ethernet adapter and use it rather than disassemble or take laptop to computer service center.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
If you have access to another computer and the internet download and save to a flash drive or disk the drivers for the wireless module http://www.drivermax...-Adapter/421176

Uninstall the present drivers, go to Device Manager, right click on the Broadcom device then uninstall it, reboot the computer and see if the hardware wizard detects and installs it, install the saved drivers and see how it goes.

NB: I am only suggesting the free driver download and in no way suggesting that you use any other product or service at the above link.

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Followed procedure given above but without success again. The laptop did connect for a very short period but then lost it. I think it's going to take a complete teardown as you mentioned before. I have decided to go the route of the powerline ethernet adapter.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Thanks for the follow up, good luck with your alternative option and let us know how it goes.

Ben T

Ben T

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
Thank you for giving me some advice on troubleshooting my laptop. Although the issue wasn't resolved, an alternative option will be sufficient. Thanks again for your time and help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup: