Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

pc freezing

• Please log in to reply

Guest_roc_*

Guest_roc_*
hi everyone, i recently purchased a computer, which i had built for me, but i am having serious trouble with it, as it freezes very often, (everyday) especially when i load a game. the game is football manager 2005 and the computer will freeze everytime i load the game. sometimes it will crash and a message will come on the monitor saying " range: out of sync" sometimes it crashes and i will just have a blank screen, sometimes it crashes and i get a blue screen with a load of writing saying something about dumping physical memory at the bottom of screen. and sometimes it just feezes, with my screen staying ok only nothing will happen or move meaning i have to restart the computer. also sometimes it will take a long time for the pc to actually restart as it can sometimes freeze when starting up. sometimes it can take ages for me to actually get the computer up and going again. i have recently formatted the computer, and reinstalled windows xp. but it hasnt helped at all, i have a firewall and i run checkes for virus and spyware and adaware everyday. but the computer is clean. therefore i am lead to believe that it is a hardware problem, only im not sure which one. i have a feeling its the graphics card, but as i said its just a feeling. i may be wrong. the graphics card is a nvidia geforce 2 ti. this problem is really starting to stress me out. sometimes it wud take an hour to freeze or crash, sometimes it will only take a few seconds. but it will nearly always do it when i load football manager. i have found it doesnt do it as often on another game, such as star wars battlefront, or halflife. but it does still freeze at some stage. i wud be extremely grateful for any replies to this post which can help me, or even for ur opinion. i can only hope that someone has come across this problem before and will be able to help me. :tazz:

Advertisements

pgarvie

pgarvie

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
What are the hardware specs
cpu
motherboard
soundcard
harddrives
vidiocards
memory

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Use the free utility for getting all your system information :

Everest Home Edition

This will help you provide any information asked for in this thread. Since this is a new PC, you might want to setup your BIOS or just go into the BIOS and load the "Safe" default values and see if it still has problems. Possibly a little tweaking or driver/BIOS update may get you going, but will need more information. Hope you have a good power supply installed if you like gaming a lot. Graphics card seems ok, just not my preference.

A lot of instant PC freezing is done because an app tried to use the same memory as where other apps running are using (cursor, etc.) or there was an IRQ conflict.

Good luck.

Ron

Guest_roc_*

Guest_roc_*
my is all the computer info i have:

Field Value
Computer
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)
Computer Name ROC
User Name Rowan

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Athlon, 1333 MHz (10 x 133)
Motherboard Name Jetway 867AS (5 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR, 4 DIMM, Audio)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT8366 Apollo KT266
System Memory 512 MB (SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award Modular (11/13/01)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)
Communication Port Communications Port (COM2)
Communication Port Printer Port (LPT1)

Display
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce2 Ti (Microsoft Corporation) (64 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce2 Ti
Monitor Plug and Play Monitor [NoDB] (90894197579)

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Creative SB Live! Value (CT4670) Sound Card

Storage
IDE Controller VIA Bus Master IDE Controller
Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive
Disk Drive WDC WD600AB-32CDB0 (55 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4040B (DVD+RW:4x/2.4x, DVD-RW:4x/2x, DVD-RAM:3x, DVD-ROM:12x, CD:24x/16x/32x DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM)
Optical Drive HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8160B (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 49999 MB (16753 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 7232 MB (7187 MB free)
Total Size 55.9 GB (23.4 GB free)

Input
Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
Mouse PS/2 Compatible Mouse

Network
Network Adapter GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem (169.254.232.226)
Network Adapter WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface (172.188.178.129)

Peripherals
USB1 Controller VIA VT83C572 PCI-USB Controller
USB Device GlobeSpan USB ADSL LAN Modem

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Haven't checked into your problem in depth yet, but you might want to read the problems some programs are having with Win XP and SP2 :

2000 apps clash with XP SP2

windows xp compatibility issues

Running Programs in Compatibility Mode Tips! Part way down page.

Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer

Hope these will help until someone comes along with a specific solution.

Ron

pgarvie

pgarvie

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
ill have to check there too.

Edited by pgarvie, 05 June 2005 - 02:39 PM.