Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Multiple errors in Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

green&yellow

green&yellow

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hi,
I have an Vaio Vpcea23fb ( Core i3 4GB 500GB Win7 64 bits). It suddenly started to report problems in the registry, and several drivers reported problems. I reinstalled some drivers, and they are working fine, except for (Marvell Yukon 88E8059 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller), and so I can't use a cable for internet. I tried to unistall and reinstall it, but this is not working.
Sometimes, when loading windows, it tries to fix automatically some problems (that strange screen that tells you it's impossible to stop the process of recovering). And then, it starts after some minutes, very slow. IE is also stopping all the time (although I always always chrome).
Avast, Malwarebytes and CCleaner are not reporting prolems.
Thank you for your help,

Mauro

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
My recommendation is to backup your data then do a restore to factory new state. I don't know how you do this since that laptop is only sold in Brazil according to the Sony web site. That means I can't read the users manual, but you should be able to. It will tell you how to use the built in recovery partition if it has one, or the recovery DVD is it came with one or the recovery DVDs you created when you first got the computer.

I would also recommend buying an external hard drive and doing regular image backups so if this kind of problem happens again, recovery only takes 30 minutes or so.

If you don't want to do that, or at least not yet, try deleting the Marvel Yukon gigabit device from device manager then reboot. Win 7 will re-detect it and reload the driver which may resolve that problem.

Also schedule a chkdsk to run on the next boot, see if it fixes any file system corruption problems. Here is a write up I use for this:

How to run System File Checker (SFC) or chkdsk from the Recovery Console

• Boot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
  • When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
  • At the "Language" screen hold the "Shift" key and press the F10 key to open a Command Window
  • Run SFC or chkdsk
  • For sfc, type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
  • For chkdsk, type chkdsk /r and press Enter.
Let this run to completion undisturbed..

Windows 7 only:
If you don't have a install DVD, you can download a legal copy here: Download Windows 7 ISO (Official 32-bit and 64-bit Direct Download Links) « My Digital Life

Make sure you get the same version you have installed: 32 or 64 bit; Starter, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate.

I still recommend doing a restore to factory state though. Too many strange things happening with your system.