Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help purchasing a USB CD/DVD rom drive.

• Please log in to reply

hd1983

hd1983

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Recently my Dell XPS 410 desktop pc running Windows XP became infected with a nasty virus, I believe I've removed the malware and now I need to reinstall Windows, the problem is that the internal CD/DVD rom drive is either dirty or malfunctioning, meaning that it won't run the XP disc.

I need an external CD/DVD rom to reinstall Windows but I am new to purchasing these things, can I use any brand/model of drive or do I need a specific one for my system? Many thanks in advance.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Why not just replace the internal drive?

From the system specs it's an SATA DVD/CD-RW combo drive. These are very cheap. For example NewEgg has one with great reviews for $16.99 and free shipping (ends 8/1): http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827136247

Easy job to remove and replace.

hd1983

hd1983

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, I found this cheap internal drive at Wal Mart and I was wondering if it would work in my Dell, not sure why I immediately thought that I needed an external, LOL, I guess I'm lazy!

www.walmart.com/ip/Samsung-Internal-DVD-RW-Drive-Black/20894590

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sure, that will work.

hd1983

hd1983

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Wonderful! Thank you!

hd1983

hd1983

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Okay, this is going to sound idiotic (I've had a stressful week so my mind has been elsewhere)and I just realized that it is impossible for me at the moment to install the internal CD/DVD drive because malware trashed my Windows XP installation and I cannot even boot into safe mode, so I need an external one to install Windows because the disc won't run on my CD/DVD drive (other discs have trouble too, so I know that there is a problem),will this external one work on a Dell XPS?

www.walmart.com/ip/Asus-SDR-08B1-U-8x-DVD-ROM-Slim-Drive/15172538#Item+Description

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Sorry for the double post earlier, I was on my phone.

Yes that drive would work, but I'd urge you to reconsider. External optical drives are slow, expensive, and have mostly been replaced by USB thumb drives.

There really isn't any reason you can't install a new internal drive. No software is needed, it's just plug-and-play. Your system will automatically recognize it on the next boot.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention that we can likely recover your system from the malware, even if it doesn't boot in safe mode. We have special offline tools, and even a forum dedicated to unbootable systems: http://www.geekstogo...alware-related/