Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer One series netbook turns off during boot up

• Please log in to reply

Steve_CostaRica

Steve_CostaRica

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi, My Acer Aspire One shuts off during booting up, sometimes before the Windows Desktop and sometimes after but never enough time to do anything. Sometimes it has a sharp shrill noise until it shuts off, when it does this the screen is blank. This netbook has XP, 1 Gig of ram, and a 160 Gig harddrive. I have tried F8 to run in safe mode but the keyboard is frozen, cannot change to safe mode, same thing if I try to change the boot to an external CD drive to run a repair, the keyboard is frozen, so I can't change the boot device. I have checked and blown out the vents for dust but there didn't seem to be any. Thanks for any help you can give me. Steve

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
As posted on the other topic you created in the malware forum

http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

please do NOT create more than one topic on one problem.

Doing so, may well have two members assisting on the same problem, unknown to each other and therefore a waste of time, additional of course to the dificulty then caused to you by trying to reply to two topics and the risk of what is being done on one not being fully compatible with what is being done on the other.

That all said this

Sometimes it has a sharp shrill noise until it shuts off

looks very like either the fan has seized and the sharp shrill noise is the fan bush or if the laptop has been subjected to a severe to medium knock the fan has been damaged in some manner or depending on the frequency of the noise (not regularity) but the lowness or highness in simple terms it is the hard disk spinning.

Whatever the cause this is unforutnately the sort of problem that is only going to be solved by your own examination of the components or if you are not qualified to do so, the accessment by a computer repair person who can have the computer in his physical presence

Steve_CostaRica

Steve_CostaRica

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
The shrill sound is coming from the speaker.

Thanks, Steve

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Shut down

Disconnect power and battery

Hold down power button for a full 20 seconds

Reconnect power only and reboot

Steve_CostaRica

Steve_CostaRica

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I tried this several times with the computer still shutting down a few seconds after the windows boot screen appears. I tried to change the boot order but the keyboard is still frozen. Do you think it is a fan issue? I don't hear the fan at all, only the hard drive.

Thanks, Steve

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Could very well be.

Unfortunately as I said earlier -

Whatever the cause this is unforutnately the sort of problem that is only going to be solved by your own examination of the components or if you are not qualified to do so, the accessment by a computer repair person who can have the computer in his physical presence

and if you are not conversant with dismantling sufficient to test, I would not even consider an attempt was advisable

At the moment you have a computer that will not boot, you could end up with one, that is suitable only for the trash.

ezypikns

ezypikns

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Not a permanent fix but try firmly tapping the fan housing (a slightly raised round shape on the bottom of the netbook housing) with a screwdriver head or some other hard object while the netbook is powering up.

I did this once a week ago and the fan started right up (allowing the netbook to completely boot up). It's still powering up normally just fine now (without the tapping action).

Who knows how long this will work, but it's working now.

Steve_CostaRica

Steve_CostaRica

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks, I took it apart and the fan is bad. I have ordered a replacement and am waiting for it. Pretty sure that's the problem. Thanks. Steve