Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound card

• Please log in to reply

sandiegonative

sandiegonative

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi - My ultimate goal is to transfer some standard audio cassette tapes into my computer. I have Audacity software downloaded and per instructions should be able to go from RCA to Mini-jack thru the mic input of my laptop. However, it doesn't work. I just get buzzing on playback. I looked at my soundcard info and there doesn't seem to be an option to switch it over to 'line-in', it only displays 'microphone'. My computer is a Toshiba laptop circa 2007 / Vista OS. Does anyone have any isights? Is there something more/different I should be doing? Thanks.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Do you get buzzing when you play your cassettes or after you listen to the recording?

I have a TV Capture card and I have the sound plug into my LINE IN and I do not need to select it to hear the sound from the cable TV, if I do select it in the RECORD OPTION of my souncard I hear the sound in an echo mode.

In Audacity I found it is easier to use the Stereo Mix option to record sound on your system (just make sure you turned off any System default sound so you will not hear any unwanted sound when recording your cassettes)

Hope that helps

sandiegonative

sandiegonative

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you for your reply Alzeimer; my sincere apologies for not responding sooner - I got distracted with some other things and overlooked the email notice. Yes, I do get a buzzing sound on playback. I do not have a tv sound card so that is not an option, however, could you elaborate on the stereo mixing - is that an Audacity feature? Thanks so much.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I was thinking of your tape cassette player plugged into the Line In of your sound card.

In Recording Control of either Windows sounds volume or your Sound Card Audio Manager make sure that the line Stereo Mix of your recording option is the one selected.

In Audacity make sure that the Mixing Toolbar is selected
For the recording source choose Stereo Mix

Start your cassette and then click in the Input Level Meter to monitor the Input Level
Adjust the recording level and then start recording your cassetes.

Do not forget to turn off any System or Programs sound that may occur during the recording or those sound will be heard in your recording.

Hope that helps

sandiegonative

sandiegonative

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear Alzeimer,

Thank you for the reply. the problem is that there is no "Line-in" option on my sound card; only "microphone". When I go into control panel: Sounds, there is no option to switch over from 'mic' to 'line-in'. Am I doing this right? Otherwise, my thought was to go through a USB port. There are a number of ways to switch over from RCA to USB. There are some very simple wire to wire conversions. Then there are elaborate 'boxes' that 'convert' RCA to USB. So would these work? And how would this incorporate into audacity, if at all?
Thank you so much.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Hi,

Go into your Open Volume Control choose Options then Properties where it says "adjust volume for" choose Recording and then you will see which volume control you can see.

If like me with my soundcard you cannot choose recording select Audio Input in the Mixer device

Hopefully you will have the option of line in, stereo mix, microphone and cd volume. Just click the ones you wish to see when you open the Recording Control

Hope that helps

[attachment=59942:sound.JPG]

I am sorry I just realized you are working with Vista (me it is XP or 7)

Look at this webpage it explains how to work your sound option with vista
http://isdixon.wordp...t-mix-in-vista/

Edited by Alzeimer, 21 August 2012 - 01:53 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Without a line in, and as you say the Toshiba laptops of that vintage generally only have headphone and microphone port, you may find that the easist answer is to connect the tape player to another computer that does have line in, record to hard drive using an appropriate program , check, copy to flash drive and then to your hard drive.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Thanks Macboatmaster, it did completely slip my mind that the laptop (like most) did not have a line in option, I apologize to Sandiegonative for instructing on something I should have thought off to start with and by that wasting her time.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Alzeimer

I do not think that any apology is necessary.

I certainly think that this

Otherwise, my thought was to go through a USB port. There are a number of ways to switch over from RCA to USB. There are some very simple wire to wire conversions. Then there are elaborate 'boxes' that 'convert' RCA to USB. So would these work? And how would this incorporate into audacity, if at all?

is so complicated for what is presumably a one-off - audio casette tape to hard drive is far easier accomplished, using a desktop with line in

additionally even if you did use the mic jack, with an attentuation of the audio level, that is usually mono and the cassette is presumably stereo

sandiegonative

sandiegonative

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you to both of you - Alzeimer thanks for the link - I found the hidden mixer option!! I haven't had a chance to test to see if the mic now will word as a line in. I will keep you posted.