Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Burning up PSU's

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
WOW that was a bad example as I just noticed the price. This one HERE is a much better example.

Advertisements

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

OK so his HD is IDE correct?
If so there is a adaptor to go from IDE to SATA like this one HERE.

:o that thing is expensive..

I found another Video card on Ebay and was wondering if that would be the thing to do is buy a replacement VC and PSU and go from there?

GeForce4 8x Ti 4200

http://www.ebay.com/...072955480&ps=54

Edited by Gizzy57, 03 August 2012 - 11:24 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Post 31 link is a lot better priced.

That card is AGP is that what is in the system now?
Also as far as the PSU I would suggest your friend spend a little extra and buy a name brand PSU with stability and reliability :thumbsup:

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Post 31 link is a lot better priced.

That card is AGP is that what is in the system now?
Also as far as the PSU I would suggest your friend spend a little extra and buy a name brand PSU with stability and reliability :thumbsup:

I agree on the PSU and as for the Video card I am not sure what you mean AGP, are you talking about Like PCI verses AGP? Or do I have that wrong? Here is the name on his VC....MEDION GeForce4 -8X Ti 4200

Also he was wanting 2GB ram in this system of his and as I told you they replace a 1GB with a 256MB so this 1GB that he has is DDR Dimm.Q Vendor AOTQD What's your take on that..I do not want to send this system back to him and then have all this stuff happen to him again if I can help it in anyway..As I can see they put all cheap parts in his system and charged him an arm and leg...

Edited by Gizzy57, 03 August 2012 - 11:49 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK both the current and the new one you linked to look to be AGP interface on the motherboard so you should be good.

OK I think I found the compatible memory modules HERE.

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

OK both the current and the new one you linked to look to be AGP interface on the motherboard so you should be good.

OK I think I found the compatible memory modules HERE.

Again thank you so very much for all your help and for sticking with me.. As for the PSU do you have any sugestions as to the best one to purchase for this system?

Edited by Gizzy57, 03 August 2012 - 12:15 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Before I answer that the the question is what is the budget allowing for? Personally I am partial to Corsair PSU's as they have always proved to be both stable and reliable.
This is what I suggest HERE normally for a new build.

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Before I answer that the the question is what is the budget allowing for? Personally I am partial to Corsair PSU's as they have always proved to be both stable and reliable.
This is what I suggest HERE normally for a new build.

Well as for his budget I am not sure so I have everything added up for him and will present it to him and go from there...I to find that the Corsair PSU's are the best.I have three systems in my house that I built and all of them have the Corsair in them...Thanks again..I will be back I am sure....So hang in with me please...

Hugz
Gizzy

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm not going anywhere. I really want to help you to help your friend. I will stay with you till the end no matter what that is. :thumbsup:

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

I'm not going anywhere. I really want to help you to help your friend. I will stay with you till the end no matter what that is. :thumbsup:

You are so kind and I really appreciate this...I have to go to work now and will be back to mess with this again till he decides what he wants to do..I want to see if maybe I can find anything at all on that motherboard that is burnt or looks wired....

Hugz
Gizzy ;)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Somewhere in this post somebody ask me the make and modle number of this MB well I found it after taking it out and its a Medion MD500 Ver 1.0

That would be me, as Ron is taking good care of you I am looking on and will only chime in if I can fill a gap with the likes of suggestions for replacement hardware and such ;)

MB specs http://217.110.237.7...edionMD5000.pdf

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Somewhere in this post somebody ask me the make and modle number of this MB well I found it after taking it out and its a Medion MD500 Ver 1.0

That would be me, as Ron is taking good care of you I am looking on and will only chime in if I can fill a gap with the likes of suggestions for replacement hardware and such ;)

MB specs http://217.110.237.7...edionMD5000.pdf

Thanks so much for me posting this mb specs.

Hugz
Gizzy

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
You are welcome :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I posted before regarding the PSU pointing out to you that the 115/240 V at 5A was not the rated output of the PSU but the input voltage.

I am now posting in case this helps regarding the 2 short beeps you are hearing on boot and the MEDION motherboard link posted by my good colleague phillpower2

The Medion 5000 motherboard is acutally a MSI 6701 - that is on this link here

http://www.elhvb.com...dion/index.html

Those boards acquired a reputation for faults caused by poor soldering on parts of the board.

I would urge caution, by that I mean that you are looking you think at a PSU problem, as you say it keeps on burning out PSU`s, you also think you are looking at a problem with a capacitor on the video card.

I am not certain that capacitor is blown. It maybe but the normal sign of a blown capacitor is a domed head - that is bulging out. Another sign of a problem is when the 0V inidcator strip - is clearly discoloured.

Here are some images that may assist you

http://www.google.co...iw=1280&bih=819

NOW to turn to the motherboard and your two beeps

That may well indicate a parity error. Here are the details for that

http://us.msi.com/se...ubleShootGuide/

A parity error is when the system has checked fhe memory and can relate to the BIOS memory held on the motherboard.

There is not a simple explanation to this and mainly for information only here are the details of the parity error

http://www.pcguide.c...rr_Checking.htm

Now to deal with the reason for caution, before you spend money on parts and especially in view of the limited means of the person you are helping.

In view of the statement that the computer burns PSU`s the cause MAYBE this.

On cheaper PSU`s and there is no nice way to say this, but that one you have sent ths image of falls into this category. The protection systems are very poor quality.

There are power supplies that, becuase of the way they are made and the diodes in the supply, it does not matter what the power supply sees when it is connected to the motherboard. It will still only supply the voltage determined and what it was meant to supply eg. 12v, 5v, 3.3v etc.

In fact, you can connect high quality power supplies, to a completely shorted connection on a motherboard, where capacitors and diodes have gone short circuit, instead of open ciruit and the power supply itself will not be damaged.

HOWEVER on cheaper PSU`s if the power supply does NOT see the resistance that should be there to the supplied voltage, then there is a very large chance that what is supposed to be 12v could well be far more and the same applies across the range.

Here are just a couple of extracts from articles that highlight what I am explaining to you

What happens depends on the source of the problem. If a problem occurs in a high quality power supply it should just shut down. In a cheap, low budget, low quality power supply of questionable value and performance a problem in the psu might also fry a cpu, motherboard, or other components. In a worst case scenario it may actually start a fire.

A properly working, high quality PSU has over and under voltage and over current protection. The key is "properly working". Most malfunctions simply result in a dead power supply. It usually takes either a combination of things in a good PSU or one thing in a cheap PSU to fry something. The usual problem seems to be the 12 volt lines which means it fries the CPU power regulator on the motherboard or the video card.

SO IN SUMMARY

I would urge you to check, as far as you can before you spend money.

Gizzy57

Gizzy57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
OK first let me thank all of you for your help and for hanging in with me here..I however did the Bench test and it failed miserably. I got nothing from it so I had a computer setting here that I built about a year or so ago so I cleaned it up and took some of the stuff from his old gray Maier that was still good plus a few other little things I had here and gave it to him and he is a happy camper now...Again thank you so much for all your help...

Hugz
Gizzy :thumbsup: