Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help looking for a new gaming computer

• Please log in to reply

Santanner11

Santanner11

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey guys, I am looking to trade my Xbox 360 for a nice gaming computer, finally making the switch over. I got an offer from a guy saying he would trade me his computer that has an asus motherboard with 64 bit ultimate vista. 2.66 ghz with an intel dual i5. Two disc readers one is a burner and the other is a writer and reader. There is glass on one side to see all the parts and there is 3 fans and 2 more fans that are bolted in along with leds. there is slots for sd and floppy disc readers. has a 8800 gtx 3d graphics card. shell casing is a Velocity Micro. 400gb of free space and 4 gb of ram. What do you guys think? Im not an expert when it comes to knowing a computers specs and im looking for something that will run all of my games perfectly in high quality. Thanks for any answers, Tanner

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: Santanner11

It is difficult for us to say whether or not it would be a good trade for you without knowing more about the computer, what I can do is give you some pointers on what questions to ask and why;

ASUS MB, what model name/number, this is important as you need to know what if any upgrade potential the board has, how many Ram slots and so on**

**To get the max out of a 64-bit operating system (OS) you are best to have 8GB of Ram, this again highlights the need to know all of the MB details as even some newer MBs will only have a 4GB Ram capacity.

2.66 ghz with an intel dual i5, this again ties in with the MB details so that you know the socket type LGA 1155 or LGA 1156 again for future upgrade potential.

Two disc readers one is a burner and the other is a writer and reader, you only need the latter.

8800 gtx 3d graphics card, still a good card but how old is it, the card could potentially be 6yrs old.

400gb of free space, what brand and model of hard drive (HDD) this is so you know whether the HDD is the older IDE or more recent SATA type.

4 gb of ram, what brand and spec is it.

One other item of hardware that it is very important to check out is the power supply unit (PSU) the brand and model name/number, this will tell you whether the other hardware is likely to have been affected by an under powered or poor quality brand PSU.

I hope this information is helpful and if you have any further question please ask.

Can I ask what games you play so that the minimum system requirements can be checked.