Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP can't startup

• Please log in to reply

Promojo

Promojo

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi guys, wondering if you can help me on this one.

I have Windows XP home edition on my PC. For some other reason, the laptop kind of froze, and like usual I restarted the computer, only to find that it can't startup. Just after showing the black screed with the "windows starting up" a blue screen appears for about 2 seconds. I could not see the compleat message but managed to capture the screen on my cell-phone camera. The error message says something like this: "windows cant find the following file from registry \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE" and after showing the split-second message, the computer reboots and does it all over again.

I tried every other option in the startup screen such as safe mode and command prompt but it does the same : reboots before I can do anything. I also tried to make a MS-dos boot disk, but it only allows me dos command with a:/, and I still cant access my CD-rom or C: drive. Also I entered every command file and bat file on the boot disk but it does nothing. I would appreciate it if anyone can give me some pointers on this one

As I said, we were not doing anything funny before it happened, other than surfing Amazon.com for some music when the PC froze. Also, another point, is that my PC easily runs out of memory and stall sometimes, which I thought thios was the case, but it usually starts up quickly after rebooting.

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://support.micro...kb;en-us;307545

This will replace the file you mentioned

Promojo

Promojo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thank you, will check it out. What do I have to do to actually get to access my computer, since it reboots before I can do anything. All I can access is the Bios setup and the A:/ command prompt in ms-dos when I used a Ms-Dos boot disk. What to do then?

Promojo

Promojo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks a lot Keith, It explains my problem perfectly. I just need to get hold of a windows XP startup disk. Where do I get that and if I get the disk do I still need the CD?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Part one runs through it, you can either download set up disks to another PC or use the XP CD with your laptop, provided you set the boot priority for CD ROM Drive before hard drive

Promojo

Promojo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks Keith. I already downloaded the windows XP home startup disk. It is about 4000kb size. Since I have no stiffies at the moment I am going to copy it onto a CD-rom and then try to boot the laptop with the CD. Where do you change the CD-Rom drive prioroty, in the BIOS? If so, must I select the CD-rom so that it is on top of the list?

thanks, I do not no much but at least I am trying

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Keep tapping the delete key right after the beep until it shows you the BIOS set up screen there will be a number of others you can access by moving the arrows, then look for Boot Priority, it can be changed by using the arrows or may be by using page up / page down

Make sure you press F10 to save the changes then yes to confirm, at which point it will reboot.

Edited by Keith, 04 June 2005 - 05:26 PM.

Promojo

Promojo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Obviously I can't just put a blank CD with the xp-startup file in. Must I create a BOOT CD and then if it reads the boot cd, I must insert a cd with the windows startup file. I tried to reboot with just a normal empty CD with the startup file on, but it doesn't read it like it does with the boot-disk (stiffy). Nero burning rom also has an option of "create a boot CD" Do you think I can use that?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If it was me, I would wait for the floppy, it looks like a two minute job with the correct data

Promojo

Promojo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Yep, no use trying to figure out how to create a CD-Rom boot if you can use a floppy(s).
Also , I'm having problems cleaning my rewritable CD, so I'll take your advice and buy some floppies tomorrow. Thanks a lot, you have been of great help, Cheers Keith!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it works out

Be interested to know how easy the set up disks are in use