Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Self Built Computer

• Please log in to reply

corbek

corbek

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
I recently put together a new computer and it isn't working. It seems like every time I buy parts online they are trash and I have to rma something in the batch.
Here are the parts:

DVD drive:ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0

GPU:EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support FPB Video Card

MoBo:ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CPU:AMD FX-4170 Zambezi 4.2GHz (4.3GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor FD4170FRGUBOX

PSU:CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V

RAM:Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000)

HDD:Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s

I plugged everything in and when I start it up there is no picture that comes up on the monitor. I have tried a few monitors that I know work so that isn't the problem. In addition to this on the MoBo there is an LED light that indicates there is a problem with the CPU so I rma'd the CPU, and when I got it back it didn't work still. So then I rma'd both the CPU and the MoBo and still no success. I was wondering if anyone knew the issue surrounding the problem. If you need more info I can supply it.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,978 posts
Hi,

You should start simple don't connect any peripherals like HDD, DVD, etc. also remove the Graphic card then check the diagnostic leds on the motherboard (page 38 from the user manual) it should give you information if the CPU and RAM are OK and should give error on the VGA.

corbek

corbek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
DOH! I forgot to plug in one of the MoBo power cords... That could have been bad haha. I feel like a moron.