Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot reboot computer,it only let me choose "Esc" to change b

• Please log in to reply

diane35

diane35

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi All,

Please help me here! I don't have money to buy a new laptop but I really need this laptop to be working again... hope you can me out!!! =***)

I am using an HP Pavillion dv 6000 (laptop computer), Window XP.

This computer used to be working fine but all of a sudden a blue screen shows "KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR," then it restarts by itself... After that it will never be able to reboot.

It only allows me to choose one of the followings:
Esc: to change boot order
F10: to enter Setup

And when I press "Esc," it shows the below:
Intel Boot Agent FE V4.1.18
Initalizing and establishing link,
PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel Boot Agent

503M System RAM Passed
2048K Cache SRAM Passed
System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed

And then if I pressed F10, it will goes to Setup I guess this is what it calls? My original boot order is as below:
USB FLoopy, ATAPI CD, Notebook Hard Drive, USB Diskette or Key, USB Hard Drive, Network Adapter

I already tried changing the boot order to have "NOTEBOOK HARD DRIVE" goes first... and then save the changes... still i mean it doesn't help and it still does not reboot.

Also I have tried and kept pressing "F8," but it won't go to safemode start up screen.... (It used to work before but not anymore...)

Please advise what I should do here...again this is a laptop computer and I do not have $ to get a new computer... and I need to use this urgently for my homework, please help!!!!!! Your help will be greatly appreciated! =***)

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
:welcome: diane35

Disable Network booting in the BIOS and make sure that your boot sequence is set to CD/DVD drive first and the hard drive second.

To help you set the boot sequence correctly see the examples @ http://www.hiren.inf...bios-boot-cdrom

Not all computers use the same keys to access the BIOS so try the following •Press the F1, F10, or the F11 key after restarting the computer, let us know how it goes.

diane35

diane35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I have tried to disable Internal Network Boot and changed the boot sequence and have CD/DVD ROM goes first then Notebook Hard Drive goes second,USB Hard Drive, USB Floopy, USB Diskette on Key, and last Network Adapter (it has an exclaimation mark next to it because I guess I disabled it earlier) but still the same... the computer just won't reboot...

please advise what I should do next, thx! =)

Edited by diane35, 03 August 2012 - 01:12 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
First of all I suggest that if you have important data on the HDD such as your homework you use Puppy Linux to try and secure it as your HDD may have issues, use the tutorial provided courtesy of Ferrari for this http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

Do you have the XP or HP installation disk that may have been provided with the computer or have you ever created a back up disk yourself.

If you do have one of the above please follow the tutorial provided by admin @ http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

You said earlier;

And then if I pressed F10, it will goes to Setup I guess this is what it calls?

Please clarify what happens if you choose setup, as in does nothing happen or does the system reboot?

diane35

diane35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the quick response! =) I would like to know am I still able to back up my files even if I cannot log into Windows? I mean I cannot even reboot my computer so the only screen that I see is a black screen with hp invent in the middle and the bottom it has 2 options- Esc: to change boot order or F10: to enter Setup.

When I pressed F10, it will go to "Phoenix BIOS Setup Utility." It has Main, Security, System Configuation, Diagnostics, and Exit.

Also when my laptop first cannot be reboot, I started to hear little ticking noises from my laptop in every second...

***Now I have just inserted a disc called PC Recovery Disc (This is a disc that the computer asked me to burn when I first bought the computer). However I already inserted the disc and it said "No hard drive found, PC Recovery cannot be continued." My laptop used to work before, not sure why it says No hard drive found? =***(

Edited by diane35, 03 August 2012 - 04:53 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hello diane35

This does confirm that your HDD has problems, please refer to the Puppy Linux tutorial to secure your data before you do anything further.

Thank you for not typing in bold text again we do appreciate it :thumbsup:

diane35

diane35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Phillpower,

I'm sorry but I don't have meaning typing in bold be4 =P

I have tried to back up data but it didn't work... So I decided to format my computer and forget those data..

Please advise how I could format my computer. Thank you so much for all your help here! =)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi diane35

Sorry for the late reply, this was due to not receiving notification of your reply #7

Can you please tell us more about this;

I have tried to back up data but it didn't work...

What happened exactly.

If the HDD has failed you will not even be able to format it I`m afraid.

You said earlier;

Also when my laptop first cannot be reboot, I started to hear little ticking noises from my laptop in every second...

This is commonly known as the click of death which signifies a failing HDD, check out the audio sounds @ http://datacent.com/...rive_sounds.php and see if what you heard is listed.

diane35

diane35

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Phillpower,

I have read the instructions on how to backup my files but just that I could not even log into window, therefore I could not back it up.

The sound of the ticking noise is something like the below:
http://datacent.com/...ery/hdd/hitachi

The second play button in this paragraph. "Another quite common symptom Hitachi drives experience is clicking or knocking sound. The drive spins up and the head starts clicking from the start:,"

Please advise if this means that I should buy a new hard drive for replacement, which means I could no longer use this laptop? or if there is anything I can do to make it works again? :(

Thank you so much for your help here once again! =)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi diane35

You do not need to boot into Windows as Puppy Linux uses the system memory to function, please ask if there is part of the tutorial that you are not sure of.

Sorry but if the HDD has failed mechanically then it is time for the trash can, if we can recover your data we can then do some HDD testing.