Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keeping Current OS

• Please log in to reply

MXKNWOLF

MXKNWOLF

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm soon going to be making a new gaming computer, and i wanted to know if i would have to buy a new OS because i'm trying to save as much money as possible, I currently have Microsoft Windows XP which i've heard is really bad should I upgrade to Windows 7 for $100? And if XP is good enough, could I transfer it to my new computer? Thankyou for your time.

Advertisements

SleepyDude

SleepyDude

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 4,976 posts
Hi,

It depends on the type of license for Windows XP you have, if its a retail you can transfer the license to a new computer if its a OEM included when you buy the computer you can't because it's against the Microsoft licensing terms.

Normally the best option is to by a Windows 7 OEM license with the new computer, legally you can buy a OEM license only with a new computer.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Besides what has already been stated think about this. You are building a new system with new parts and you want to save money by putting a old OS that will loose support from Microsoft in less then a year. Besides I highly doubt XP will have drivers for your new system.
Update to Win7 and you will be fine. Also if you get win7 now you will be eligible for the Win8 upgrade for 39.99 in OCT when it is released.

gb2064

gb2064

• Pip
  • 3 posts
MXKNWOLF
Also, you mention "upgrade to Win7 for $100.00".
rshaffer61 correctly tells you to "update" not "upgrade" to win7.
This is because a Win7 "upgrade" CD cannot "upgrade" over any version of Win XP.
You will need the "Full" version CD of win7 for your install.