Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NO Windows Updates Install if Windows Installer Needed

• Please log in to reply

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Please have a look at this link hope it helps.
http://thelazyadmin....-msi-installer/

Advertisements

G_Woods

G_Woods

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Which one of these files should I download? Which is the correct one for my system?

1. Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-ia64.msu

2. Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x64.msu

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
G_Woods

Please wait for rockmilk to return.

It would be the second one - BUT please do WAIT before you try that.

The first one is for what is known as Itanium based systems and you do not have that

G_Woods

G_Woods

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thank You for reply. So you think I should wait before following instruction from rockmilk's previous post?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Yes please.
That said, I may be seeing a concern, that is unwarranted.
This is the reason I am concerned.

Windows Installer 4.5 MAY conflict with a range of items present in Windows Installer 5.0 including a few standard actions, installer functions, column data types, properties, database tables, ControlEvents, Controls, Internal Consistency Evaluators – ICEs; and Automation Interface properties

and although Windows installer 5.0 includes nearly all that was included in 4.5, it was written to cover certain aspects of Windows 7. . that 4.5 would not cater for.

The 4.5 redistributable is made available by Microsoft for the following O/S
- from the link you went to, when you asked which one to download

Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista, Windows XP

The Windows Installer 4.5 redistributable can be installed on Windows XP Service Pack 2, Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1, Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows Vista Service Pack 1, and Windows Server 2008 in X86, X64 and IA64 flavors.

That all said, I may well be wrong and may I apologise NOW for any incovenience I have caused you if it transpires that I am.

However please do wait.
I have arranged for confirmation.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Go ahead and download the second you listed. Let us know how it goes.

G_Woods

G_Woods

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Okay, I will be standing by. So, if I understand correctly, either you or rockmilk will advise me how to proceed?
Thanks Again

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Rockmilk will advise but give him a bit to respond.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will not - as I am, as I said not 100% positive.

I have referred the issue to a Senior Staff member, who is more conversant with these issues than I am.

He is not online, so you will need to wait, until he returns.

I am signing off - goodnight

and may I take the opportunity to say, that I and I am sure CompCav my colleague in Malware, who helped you, and I am sure rockmilk, admire your dedication to the problem.

The only point I would make, is if you ever get this working and I do have a doubt that you will, please PLEASE stay well away from registry cleaners, and any program of that nature.

Windows 7 manages its own system extremely well, and far better than previous Vista and Xp (Vista was really only a revamped XP) and generally speaking other tools than those provided by Windows 7 and IE9 are not needed or wanted, especially as a general use., when all is running well.

Even CCleaner can cause problems, without the use of the registry cleaning apect, unless you understand what CCleaner does,.

For instance it causes problems with MSE (Security Essentials) and is reported as not helping AVAST either.

Finally good luck with it.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello everyone,

Rockmilk had posted, but his post was not yet approved. I have done so myself just now.

Go ahead and download the second you listed. Let us know how it goes.

That being said though, I do see that RKinner posted some solid advise about a possible failing hard drive. I would suggest you follow those steps, as well as try what rockmilk has suggested.

I will keep an eye on the topic, too.

Regards,
Olrik

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Post 56 has the hard drive testing instructions. :thumbsup:

G_Woods

G_Woods

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Okay here goes:

1. Followed instructions from "Post #61". However, when I tried to change attributes on file "dllcache" reply was file not found (windows/system32 directory). Renamed msi.dll, msiexec.exe and msihnd.dll to extension .old, Rebooted and attempted to run: Windows6.0-KB942288-v2-x64.msu and received the following:

I have already performed HD testing in earlier post.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
G_Woods

Edited by G_Woods, 18 August 2012 - 06:37 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I have already performed HD testing in earlier post.

I just went through every post since Rkinner suggested the HD diagnostics and I see nothing after post 56 where you post the results of the HD diagnostics. :confused:

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
CompCav had him run it in the Malware forum but I'm not sure it did much good.

I would like to see if we get an error when we try to start Windows Update service. Right click on Computer and select Manage (Continue) then Services and Application then Services. Scroll down until you find Windows Update and right click on it and select properties. Change the Startup Type to Automatic and Apply then try to Start the service. Do you get an error? What does it say?

Ron

G_Woods

G_Woods

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hummm, maybe I forgot to post them. However I have two files that I believe you are talking about. If I remember correctly they were large files and I had to compress them. They are named:
1. Application Event Log.evtx
2. System Event Log.evtx

Is this correct?