Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Looking to add a 2nd graphics card. Don't know what to do.

• Please log in to reply

Ram8113

Ram8113

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. I just bought a new PC from ibuypower.com and was thinking about putting my old GTX 275 in there along side my new graphics card. I was also wondering if it's possible to install my old RAM in addition to my new 2 sticks with 4 gigs each.

Here's what I have:

Case(NZXT Phantom Full Tower Gaming Case - White)
Case Lighting(Liquid Neon Thunder Pattern Light - Blue)
iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction(None)
iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion([6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System)
Processor(AMD FX-4100 CPU (4x 3.60GHz/4MB L2 Cache))
iBUYPOWER PowerDrive(PowerDrive Level 2 - Up to 20% Overclocking)
Processor Cooling(Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - Standard 120mm Fan)
Memory(8 GB [4 GB X2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair Vengeance)
Video Card(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 - 2GB - Single Card)
Video Card Brand(Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA)
Motherboard(Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 -- AMD 970)
Motherboard USB / SATA Interface(Motherboard default USB / SATA Interface)
Power Supply(800 Watt - Standard)
Primary Hard Drive(2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive)
Data Hard Drive(None)
Optical Drive(24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)
2nd Optical Drive([12X Blu-Ray] LG BLU-RAY Reader, DVD±R/±RW Burner Combo Drive - Black)
Flash Media Reader / Writer(None)
Meter Display(None)
USB Expansion(None)
Sound Card(3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard)
Network Card(Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100))
Operating System(Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit)
Keyboard(iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard)
Mouse(iBUYPOWER Precision Gaming Mouse - Midnight Black)
Monitor(None)
2nd Monitor(None)
Speaker System(None)
Video Camera(None)
Case Engraving Service(None)
Warranty(3 Year Standard Warranty Service)
Rush Service(Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) - No Rush Service, Estimate Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days)
Headset(Logitech G330 Gaming Headset)
Advanced Build Options(iBUYPOWER Specialized Advanced Packaging System - Protect your investment during transportation!)
Advanced Build Options(Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Achieve exceptional airflow in your chassis)
Advanced Build Options(Professional wiring for all cables inside the system tower - Basic Pro Wiring)

Is this possible with this setup? What do I need to do/purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
No, you cannot SLI cards from a different series. You would need to buy another GTX 560 to run a two card setup. Also, your board isn't ideal for Crossfire or SLI as the 2nd PCI express slot will only run at 4X.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
To add to what colleague kidnova has advised;

I was also wondering if it's possible to install my old RAM in addition to my new 2 sticks with 4 gigs each.

Is the Ram the exact same specifications as the DDR3 Corsair?
If it is not it as in it may be DDR2 type Ram it will not fit or if indeed DDR3 but different spec it can cause compatibility/instability issues + if it is a lower speed such as 1333 MHz or 1066 MHz it will force the present 1600MHz Ram to clock backwards to the same speed, this could cause a bottleneck with your CPU and video card.

Your specs are ok for the average user and unless you are rendering video, have more than two large display (32"+) or doing heavy 3D or CAD work you do not need or will benefit from having more than 8GB of Ram or two video cards.