Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with first time build

• Please log in to reply

Mattyp153

Mattyp153

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
===EDIT===
I just thought I might need an SD card reader but I only have $30 to spend. Would this work with everything below? (mainly the fans) Deepcool Rockmaster 5.25in Fan Controller and Card Reader - $25 (+$2 postage)
==========

Here is my final setup I will let you know how it went after I get it all and put it together.

Case: Silverstone RL01 Redline Black USB 3.0 with Window - $55
Mobo: ASRock H77-PRO4-MVP Motherboard - $99
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570 - $219
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM - $99
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 - $59
Harddrive: Western Digital WD Blue 500GB WD5000AAKX - $75
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty Series 550W Modular - $75
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive OEM - $22
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD7750 1GB - $105
Wireless Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND Wireless N PCI Express Adapter - $22
Extra Fan: Xigmatek XLF-F1253 120mm LED Fan - $11
Postage: $79

Total: $920

Edited by Mattyp153, 07 August 2012 - 03:09 AM.

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Should work fine, although I've never felt a need for an external fan control. I'll make one more suggestion. If your primary purpose is gaming, which I believe is true, then you'll be better off with the combo below:

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=20894 - $199
http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=19729 - $135

The VGA is $30 more, but you'll save $20 on the CPU. In general, the video card is going to be your limiting factor in most games, especially on a new build. The difference between the 3570 and the 3470 is .2 GHz of clock speed, which you probably will never notice. However, the upgrade from a 7750 to a 7770 is more significant. Now, if you plan on upgrading your video card within the next 6 months then go ahead and buy the better CPU, but if you plan on keeping this setup for at least a year then I'd highly recommend the better VGA.

Mattyp153

Mattyp153

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I will have a think about what you said and re-post my final list soon because I still have a little time while I save up that last little bit I need.

P.S.
I am only getting the Card reader + Fan controller because it is the cheapest card reader I can find I probably wont use the fan control much.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
If the fan controls don't matter then you might consider this:

http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=21005

It's a bit cheaper and would add an additional USB 3.0 port to the front as well. It's supposed to be available tomorrow.

Mattyp153

Mattyp153

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
List Update

Case: Sharkoon T9 Value Red Case USB 3.0 - $65
Mobo: ASRock H77-PRO4-MVP Motherboard - $99
CPU: Intel Core i5 3470 - $199
OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM - $99
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 - $55
Harddrive: Western Digital WD Blue 500GB WD5000AAKX - $75
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty Series 550W Modular - $75
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 24x SATA DVD-RW Drive OEM - $22
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD7770 1GB Overclocked - $135
Wireless Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND Wireless N PCI Express Adapter - $22
Card reader: Deepcool Rockmaster 5.25in Fan Controller and Card Reader - $25

Total: $871 (aiming for $850 but close enough :cool: )

I got a different case because it comes with 3 fans and is $1 cheaper because I don't have to buy an extra fan now.

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I think you'll be happy with that build. You should be able to play most games on medium to high settings at resolutions of 1920x1200 or less, and you can always upgrade the video card in the future if you are unhappy with the performance. With that PSU and mobo you won't be able to run dual card setups (as you know), but I prefer 1 single card over dual cards for anything other than extreme gaming performance anyways. Another upgrade you could consider in the future is adding a SSD for your OS and frequently used programs. Good luck with the build and let us know how it's going.

Mattyp153

Mattyp153

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I will be ordering the parts in the next few days and was just wondering if anyone had any tips for a first time builder

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Just a few:

1) The 660ti releases tomorrow and there will likely be some price drops on current cards, so check on the prices for the GTX570 over the next few days as you might score a good deal. If you can afford to step up to the 660ti then early reviews seem to indicate it is a winner.

2) Take your time! It's fun to build your own computer, so don't rush through it. Read the instructions and double check each connection. There's nothing worse than hitting that power button and hearing a POP or worse smelling burning electronics.

3) Discharge static electricity prior to touching any of the components. Each time. Every time. You can do this with the wrist strap recommended in a previous post, or simply by touching something metal prior to touching your components.

4) Don't be afraid to ask questions. If you're not sure about something then ask.

5) Enjoy it. Let's face it, for most people a complete build is something we only get to do every 2 or 3 years at most.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts

download and then read your manuals +

Here is a how to build, >

http://www.diy-gamin...ild-a-Computer/

Have a read if you are not sure about a step please post.

and

, not forgetting the one provided courtesy of Troy and Artellos respectively

http://www.geekstogo...r-own-computer/

Mattyp153

Mattyp153

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
thanks that really helped reading that.

Advertisements

Mattyp153

Mattyp153

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Got the parts and I'm having issues with cable management and got a bit lost so I'm gonna see if a friend of a friend can come give me an hand.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

At what stage have you got a bit lost?
You should get all your parts installed first, before attaching cables, I do it in this order.

CPU heat-sink fan to CPU fan header on the Mobo.
4 pin or 8 pin 12V power connector, up the back of the Mobo if cable is long enough.
24 pin ATX power connector, up the back of the Mobo if cable is long enough.
SATA power cables to the drives, starting at the bottom, work up.
http://www.playtool....connectors.html
SATA signal cables to the drives, starting at the bottom, work up, > http://www.forensicc...gnal-cable.html
Video PCI-E cable/s
Front panel connectors, (case )
Fans.

Tidy up any loose wires with cable ties.
Recheck all are still connected especially the CPU heat-sink fan plug to the Mobo.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
How is the project going? An update on the forum would be appreciated.

Mattyp153

Mattyp153

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Sorry its took so long to post an update I had problems with my internet (not the computer). Everything is working fine and I dont know what was wrong the first time I just took everything out of the case and started again and everything worked. Thanks for all the help guys.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Great to hear the news.

You should now use windows to create an image of the OS drive and make a recovery disk.