Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Want to format/clean install windows 7/make 2 partitions-HOW?

• Please log in to reply

David Geller

David Geller

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Want to format/clean install windows 7/make 2 partitions-HOW?

Hi all, I have looked over the site to see if i could find my answer.

I have a 32 bit Dell 2 Quad computer, 4 megs ram. I'm rather computer literate.

Computer came with Vista, I believe I bought from Dell an upgrade Windows 7 professional (less than $100).
I have backed up using Acronis.

The computer runs slow and when I upgraded from Vista I just "upgraded" did not do a clean install.

I want to:
1. Reformat clean & fresh
2. have 2 drives on the hard disk, one for the OS and one for everything else.

So my questions are:

1. I can't find the downloaded file I used, nor if I received a CD.
2. can I get another copy from them in some way or do I have to buy an OEM copy?
3. If I found the upgrade CD would it do a clean install anyway or do I still have to get a new OEM? i don't want to re install vista and go that route?
4. Should i copy the drives folder for some reason?
5. I want to have a CD drive just for windows, a D drive for everything else. Do program files get installed on the D drive? Being programs put their fingers into the registry, if I have to reformat C drive later, how do the programs work if installed on D drive and Cd rive has been wiped clean?

many Thanks, any other tips appreciated.
David

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Do you still have the key you used to upgrade to Windows 7 with? If so, you can download an iso image the same version from Digital River then create a DVD from it.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation DVD, you can download a legal copy with SP1 integrated from here: Official Windows 7 SP1 ISO from Digital River.
Make sure you get the same version you have, Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate and 32 or 64 bit. Note that Basic or Starter is not available.

I recommend using ImgBurn at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file.

David Geller

David Geller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you SO MUCH!.
Will I be able to use this DVD I made to start from absolute scratch and reformat and reinstall windows?

And when and how do I divide up the partition so I can have one partition with ONLY Windows on it? Also if I do that ad have to reformat the C partition (and not the D partition) will the programs know how to work being teh regsitry was overwritten?
Thanks
David

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Will I be able to use this DVD I made to start from absolute scratch and reformat and reinstall windows

yep but you will need the key code from your system...its on the windows sticker on the back of your desktop or the bottom of a laptop

use GPARTED to partition the drive after you get 7 installed

smith.R.jhon

smith.R.jhon

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
hi,
i found a detailed guide for you to help you to setup windows 7 along with partition.
http://www.techyv.co...omized-computer
this link contains the full detailed instruction for you.
i think you will get it right.
thanks

David Geller

David Geller

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks so much for the excellent help. One last question (I hope)
Should I copy my device drivers or other drivers to a cd before formatting to install later?
Thanks again
david

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Thanks so much for the excellent help. One last question (I hope)
Should I copy my device drivers or other drivers to a cd before formatting to install later?
Thanks again
david

yep... :thumbsup: