Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have no audio on the internet

• Please log in to reply

iDifferent

iDifferent

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there,

I'm new to this website so I apologise if this is not in the correct place. I'd appreciate it if someone could move the post to its appropriate place if that's so.

I'm having trouble with my audio. I can watch the video on youtube for example but I can't hear any audio on youtube videos. The same goes for any other website with videos or an online game (on a website) which contains audio.

My audio works on:
- mp3 files
- windows media player movies
- on games that I need to download/use a launcher for/that use java.

I really want to be able to listen to videos on youtube for example. I'm just wondering what is wrong.

My audio was working fine early in the morning yesterday but then suddenly the audio dissapeared.

I use google chrome, so I tried uninstalling/reinstalling adobe flash and so on but it seems superfluous as apparently google chrome has the latest adobe flash inbuilt to it. Also that didn't change things like the audio on BBC iplayer which is separate from youtube - i still can't heaar audio.

I have Realtek HD Audio Manager. I'm using Windows XP.

Nothing is muted.

I've got speakers and plug my headphones into them. My realtek audio manager says in the Audio I/O section, "8CH Speaker". It used to be "Headphone" but I had to change it to "8CH speaker" after i tried to update my files with one of those driver updater softwares which ended up doing the same thing, possibly deleting parts of my audio software/driver in the process of trying to update them (I couldn't hear audio on youtube videos). When I changed the settings to 8CH Speaker i could hear the sound again though. Right now I can't hear audio on either the "Headphone" setting or "8CH Speaker" setting when I'm on the internet. The issue with the driver updater was many weeks ago and after I switched to "8CH Speaker" I thought everything was fine and had forgotten about the previous issue as it was a long time ago.

Another piece of information that might be useful: I'm not sure if this is just my imagination but on google chrome, if you look at the address bar, before every single website, including google.com, to the left there is an icon of a blank sheet with a fold in the corner. I clicked it and it says, "The identity of this website has not been verified" and "your connection to [website here] has not been encrypted" and also "you have never visited this site before today", the latter of which for example is a lie because i've visited youtube almost everyday for the past couple of months. I clicked for more information ("what do these mean?") and it refers to the icon as meaning, "The site isn't using SSL". Not sure what that means but it might be relevant as I don't think I remember seeing that icon from before.

I really can't think of what has gone wrong though. I'll follow any instructions if anyone is willing to help (I'm a bit of a novice with computers though) - thanks a lot.

Diff

Edited by iDifferent, 03 August 2012 - 12:06 PM.

Advertisements

lordoxford

lordoxford

• PipPip
  • 64 posts
If it's an SSL problem I'd try a different browser for a start.
Lox.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
This might be caused by your speakers or headphones being plus into the wrong jack, in some of them (audio jacks) you will hear sound windows produces but it will not play sound from other sources (internet). Play a youtube video and try different audio jacks until you hear sound.

Hopefully that will help

iDifferent

iDifferent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
oh!
@lordoxford - It may have been an SSL issue, i tried internet explorer and I can hear audio!

If it was an SSL issue, how can I listen to youtube videos with google chrome? My IE is very slow in comparison to google chrome, thats why I switched to chrome a long time ago because IE was so laggy.

@Alzeimer i Don't think it's a jack issue as I've had my speakers like this for the past few years and haven't come across problems until recently.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here and get the non ie version of flash and be sure to get the right bit...either 32 or 64 bit if you have more than 4 GBs of ram you need the 64 bit version......install it and reboot...try youtube in chrome again

iDifferent

iDifferent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello,

unfortunately that didn't work.

I dl'ed the 64 bit, although my comp is 32 bit, I can't find a 32 bit version.

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Open this link in your google chrome browser. http://www.adobe.com.../downloads.html Click "Get the latest version". Adobe will automatically give you the version you need to download. Download it to your desktop and install. Restart your computer and try that.

Edited by MikeMason, 11 August 2012 - 02:09 PM.

iDifferent

iDifferent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
hi sorry for the late reply,

it says:

"Your Google Chrome browser already includes Adobe® Flash® Player built-in. Google Chrome will automatically update when new versions of Flash Player are available."

So that didn't work.

I've also just realised my sound doesn't work when i play games now, that is, games I download/install.

iDifferent

iDifferent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
any other help please?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
check the device manager for any yellow ! or ?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I have no idea which you have downloaded but it was the NON IE version

Flash Player 11.4.402.265 (Non-IE)

Filename:install_flash_player.exe
File size:9.74MB (10,217,672 bytes)

Flash Player 11.3.300.257 (Non-IE) 64-bit

and

I think you should go back and explore more fully the link to File Hippo

I dl'ed the 64 bit, although my comp is 32 bit, I can't find a 32 bit version

iDifferent

iDifferent

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

check the device manager for any yellow ! or ?

Hello, I'm not sure what this means. Could you please expand?

I have no idea which you have downloaded but it was the NON IE version

Filename:install_flash_player.exe
File size:9.74MB (10,217,672 bytes)

and

I think you should go back and explore more fully the link to File Hippo

I dl'ed the 64 bit, although my comp is 32 bit, I can't find a 32 bit version

Hello, yes I think I had done something wrong to I went back to the link as posted by "happyrock":

It says on the filehippo link:

" Flash Player 11.3.300.257 (IE) 64-bit
Flash Player 11.4.402.265 (IE)
Flash Player 11.4.402.265 (Non-IE)"

I ended up downloading The 2nd link when I replied, but this time I downloaded the fourth link ("Flash Player 11.4.402.265 (Non-IE)" because I think it's more suitable for 32-bit which my computer has) and rebooted my computer, but this did not work either. I still can't hear audio on chrome.

I think the issue is more complex, If I'd like to just update you all on the situation. Strangely my audio works for some things but doesn't work for other things and I can't understand why for one situation it works but for another situation it doesn't:

1. My audio doesn't work on youtube videos on google chrome
2. My audio does work on youtube videos on internet explorer
3. My audio doesn't work on games that I've downloaded (like age of empires, or League of Legends)
4. My audio does work for games which use java (like runescape, which I've quit now..)
5. My audio does work for audio files that I have, like mp3 tunes that I've downloaded.
6. My audio does not work for skype calls, I can't hear what the other person is saying to me when they are using their michrophones.

So I'm very confused about why the audio will work for one thing but not work for another thing.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by iDifferent, 25 August 2012 - 07:18 AM.

narenxp

narenxp

• PipPip
  • 72 posts
I would suggest you to reinstall your audio driver even though device manager doesnt show warnings.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

My audio doesn't work on youtube videos

uninstall all versions of flash player you can find in the add /remove programs section in your control panel...
then go here and go thru the flash troubleshooter

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this:

How To Fix:
  • Go to START-->RUN and type regedit to open the Registry Editor
  • Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Drivers32
  • Now right-click on the heading Drivers32 and select NEW-->STRING VALUE.
  • Call this new String Value wavemapper.
  • Now double-click the wavemapper entry you just created and for the VALUE field, type in msacm32.drv and click OK.
  • Close the Registry Editor and try watching a video on youtube again.