Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please help, Emergency!

• Please log in to reply

abuff88

abuff88

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
So I've just recently received all of the parts for the new build that I'm doing. As I started to assemble it, I hit a bit of a speed bump;
I got the processor in just fine, it locked into place with ease. The issue that I'm having is with the heatsink/fan. I've correctly oriented it onto the cpu, but the locking levers on each side won't reach down past the tab they're supposed to hook onto. I can get one side under the tab, but then the other side won't reach by like 1/4 an inch. I tried and tried for about 20 minutes, but am becoming worried that I might harm the cpu,board, or heatsink/fan.
Please, does anyone have any idea what I might be doing wrong? This is my second build ever so I am pretty new still, but I do know what to do basically.

Thanks in advance,

Abuff88

p.s. The brand of cpu is AMD FX-8120 with stock heatsink/fan and the mobo is an ASRock 970 Extreme3.

Also, please someone just suggest anything, I can not proceed any further until I get the cpu installed! I had the day off today and don't have any other time to do this build. =[

Edited by abuff88, 04 August 2012 - 09:48 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: abuff88

You have also started a second topic regarding the computer will not power up but you do not mention there that you cannot attach the heatsink and fan, have you now resolved that problem?

See the .jpeg below and confirm whether or not that you have securely connected both the 8 pin and 24 pin power connectors + the CPU fan to either one of the fan headers ( 3 or 4 pin )

Can I ask did you do a bare-bones set up outside of the case before assembling inside the case?
If not then that is what I would suggest next if the above checks out ok, I will post a guide to this if and when required.

To avoid you receiving multiple replies and avoid possible confusion your duplicated topic will be closed so please continue at this topic and I will be happy to assist you, duplicate topic @ http://www.geekstogo...w-build-issues/

abuff88

abuff88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you, yes I did resolve the cpu installation issue. Turns out it just took a lot more pressure to lock it in than I thought. But the issue with the psu has changed also as I've kept playing with it. I got the system to power on, but it gives me 5 beeps which I've looked up to mean a system failure. I disconnected parts one by one to try and find what the failure is, and unplugged everything except the cpu... does that mean my cpu is doa? :-(

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Did you use thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink.
Have you tried a single stick of Ram in Ram slot one.

I would now do a barebones set up "how to" below;

First remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
IF your MB doesn`t have a power test switch you will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Other things worth checking include, if you used stand offs beneath the MB are they in the correct locations (only where there is a screw hole in the MB) otherwise the MB will short out, check for stray screws or bared wires for the same reason.

Let us know how it goes.

abuff88

abuff88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay, so I swapped out my known working psu and powered up the system fine, but got those 5 post beeps. I replaced my new psu and it's powering up but still the 5 post beeps.
Only thing is when the system turns on and does the 5 post beeps my psu is reallllly loud and grinding as it spins. I feel like I should return it anyways just to be safe since it's already like that on the 1st day of use.
There are no standoffs on the board that aren't supposed to be there. Also no loose screws or bare wires hanging about.

What exactly does that 5 beep post mean?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
5 beeps may mean a problem with the processor but it can also be the MB and possibly a bad BIOS setting, for future reference should you need it http://acronymsonlin.../beep_chart.asp

Try removing the MBs silver CR2032 battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will restore the MBs factory defaults which should clear any bad BIOS settings if there are any.

I previously asked a couple of questions, can you please answer them;

Did you use thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink.
Have you tried a single stick of Ram in Ram slot one.
Also did you do the suggested bare-bones set-up.

abuff88

abuff88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Yeah, I used the thermal paste that was pre-applied on the heatsink that came with the cpu.
I'm going to remove the board from the case now and try the barebones setup you suggested.

So can I leave the psu in the case and just connect it to it?

Also I used to have a grounding bracelet for building but I couldn't find it for this build so I've just been keeping ahold of the edge of the case every so often, or everytime I touched something. Could using this method be risky in harming a part? Like my cpu maybe?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts

Yeah, I used the thermal paste that was pre-applied on the heatsink that came with the cpu.

That is adequate.

I'm going to remove the board from the case now and try the barebones setup you suggested.

I would first try removing the CMOS battery as it could hopefully resolve the issue and save you a lot of hassle.

So can I leave the psu in the case and just connect it to it?

Better to remove it, they are easy enough to remove and replace.

Also I used to have a grounding bracelet for building but I couldn't find it for this build so I've just been keeping ahold of the edge of the case every so often, or everytime I touched something. Could using this method be risky in harming a part? Like my cpu maybe?

I have never wore one and use the same method as you have and I have never had a problem.

abuff88

abuff88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Finished bare bones test. 1 stick of ram in slot one, cpu, and psu only. got 5 post beeps again... My cpu is dead isn't it... =[

abuff88

abuff88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Also did as you said with the battery. Did that before trying to turn the machine on or plugging it in.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Ok due to the 5 error beeps + the trouble that you had attaching the heatsink I suggest that you remove the CPU and check it for bent or missing pins, let us know what you find please.

abuff88

abuff88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Since I've had the motherboard running for cumulatively at least 10 minutes, doesn't that mean that I'll have to clean and reapply thermal paste? I don't have any at the moment so I'd have to go to bestbuy or something real fast. I just want to make sure before I proceed.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Yes the thermal material will need to be replaced but hold off until the CPU pins have been checked, if there are any bent pins I can suggest a method for straightening them if they are not too bad, snapped ones however are a different matter, before you remove the CPU can you check that it is in the correct orientation, there will be a matching gold or shaped corner of both the CPU and socket.

abuff88

abuff88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Okay... so... I went to removed the heatsink from the cpu and I'm pulling and pulling, and the cpu AND heatsink come out together!! It was locked down too.. I checked the pins on it and they're all straight.
What do I do now?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Before gently removing the CPU from the heatsink can you check that you had the CPU in the socket in the correct orientation, hold the HS above the MB socket in the position that it was fixed and check that the the golden triangle on the CPU matched the socket corner with a small triangle on it, post back when you have checked this please.