Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help please. Issue with boot of new computer.

• Please log in to reply

SpencerS

SpencerS

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have just finished putting together my first pc.

Asus Sabertooth Z77 motherboard
Intel Core i5 3.4G processor
Nvidia GeForce GTX560 Graphics Card
Silencer MkII 750W Power Supply
1tb Western Digital hard drive
Asus dvd Rom Drive
2x 4G Ares ROM

I plugged it in with my monitor, keyboard, and mouse connected. It makes a "turning on sound" runs for a second or two then shuts down. A second or two later it turns on again and repeats this cycle till i shut it down. On the motherboard the green LED above the power supply is lit and the lights in my mouse and keyboard light up. There is also an LED that lights up red on the motherboard. The manual for the board says it's the trouble shooting light to indicate a problem with the Processor. I checked the processor and it is sitting in it's bed correctly. It must be getting power because the cooling puddy that was on the bottom of the heatsink has melted some.

Does any one have any ideas as to what is going wrong?
Thank you very much for your input.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I checked the processor and it is sitting in it's bed correctly. It must be getting power because the cooling puddy that was on the bottom of the heatsink has melted some.

This does not prove that the CPU may be defective.
Also did you bench test the parts before installing them in the case?
Another option is that there is a standoff under the board causing a short.

SpencerS

SpencerS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did not bench test any of the hardware. I honestly don't know what that means or how to do it.
Is there a way i can check if my processor is bad or not?
The only standoffs i left in the case are the ones i'm using. I have not tightened them to any extream. Just enough to hold the board in place.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I honestly don't know what that means or how to do it.
Is there a way i can check if my processor is bad or not?

Remove the motherboard and Place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The only standoffs i left in the case are the ones i'm using.

Are you saying you had standoffs in the case already from the old motherboard? Did you check and make sure they all lined up with a hole in the motherboard? If there is one that doesn't it can short the board out and in the worse case scenario damage the board.

SpencerS

SpencerS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
This is a brand new computer. There was never any thing in this case before i put it together today. I double and triple checked the standoffs before i put the board into the case. All standoffs lined up with the holes in the motherboard.
The plate that goes in the back of the case around the usb ports and audio ports etc. has foam on the inside of it that presses up against the motherboard to keep the plate in place along with some snapping to the case it self. Just thought i should mention that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then I would suggest doing the bench test outside of the case to check the core components.

SpencerS

SpencerS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I did as you instructed. I turned the computer on and the same processor LED lit up and it did the turn off turn on cycle again.
I checked the underside of the motherboard around the screw holes and saw no sign of cracks, depressions or dents of any kind. The rest of the board looks fine as well.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you take the board out and test it on a piece of cardboard or foam backing?
You should only have mb, cpu, memory and video if a add on card installed. KB and mouse so it will boot along with monitor and psu connected. Everything should be outside of the case. If this is what you did then you have now verified the CPU may be the culprit.
Since it sounds like the cpu, fan and heatsink were together when you bought them then it was a retail cpu. The company should replace it with no issues.

SpencerS

SpencerS

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
That is exactly what i did. I was afraid it was going to be the CPU...i don't want to have to wait for a replacement :(
Thank you very much for you assistance. I am very great full.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You can check the pins on the cpu to see if one by chance got bent during installation.