Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

[SOLVED] Laptop screen becomes black and PC restarts

• Please log in to reply

Rumokiga

Rumokiga

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone ^^
I have a Toshiba A100-080, an old laptop but still doing its job.
Sometimes, while I work on it, the screen suddenly goes black and after 2 or 3 seconds, the computer restarts.

Generally, this behavior occurs while I'm typing on the keyboard or when I adjust the screen's position or when I press on an area near the screen (for example where the hinges are) so I thought it was a hardware problem (a loose contact or sth like that) but then it began to happen even if I'm nowhere near the PC.

Also, when I restart the PC after it shutting down like that, it always gives a long beep then it starts with the screen still shut but it does start because I can see the HD's light indicator flickering. So for it to work properly, I have to adjust the screen's position and start the PC again and again till it actually works.

I tried to test another secreen so I hooked my desktop's monitor to the laptop but the problem is still there. And I changed the Power Saving settings for the screen to never shut it off, but nothing changed.

I just don't know what's the nature of the problem, is it hardware or software?
Please, I appreciate any suggestions
Thanks in advance ^^

Edited by Rumokiga, 08 August 2012 - 07:42 AM.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
First thing you should do is to disable the automatic restart of windows when an error occurs, go to SYSTEM PROPERTIES and under the tab ADVANCED choose STARTUP AND RECOVERY then SETTINGS an unclick AUTOMATICALLY RESTART.

If your system is experiencing BSOD's you will see the a screnn appear when it usually shuts down.

If you do have BSOD's then depending on the error codes we can determine what is causing your laptop to shutdown by itself.

Rumokiga

Rumokiga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for replying Alzeimer ^^

Well, I found that option unticked
Is there another reason why the PC is restarting?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Go into the administrative tools and open EVENT VIEWER and see if you see any error messages under SYSTEM that coincide with your laptop shutting down.

Maybe a battery or power cord related event also if your CPU is overheating it might just turn off, any hardware, software, driver or virus problem would usually cause a BSOD

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Also a long beep at boot usually means that your RAM is either failing or loose

Rumokiga

Rumokiga

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks again Alzeimer

Well I didn't find any errors related to that problem

But I disassembled it, cleaned it a bit and tightened some screws.
It works like a charm now ^^ I didn't figure out what was wrong with it exactly but thank you for your help ^^