Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Cleanup for Startup efficiency

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
please give opinion on the following program:

http://www.sparktrus.../fastercomputer

waynf

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi waynf

Avoid using these types of programs at all costs as they have the potential to hose your computer, the free type of these so called system optimizers usually result in the need to purchase a product to put right the damage that has been done, some information for you http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
I would not use it! Would you like some help with speeding your machine up?

Can you please tell us the exact make and model of you machine?
What issues are you having?

If you would like help then please do the following.

Download Ccleaner just when you download it make sure to untick anything extra that may come with it like toolbars etc.
http://www.piriform....wnload/standard

Just DONT us the registry cleaner function of CCleaner unless you know what you are deleting exactly!!

Then open ccleaner hit the tools button then startup second one down below uninstall then in the bottom right hand corner of ccleaner hit save to text file.Save it to your desktop and post the startup.txt here in your next reply.

Please download FarbarServiceScanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

Make sure the following options are checked:
Internet Services
Windows Firewall
System Restore
Security Center/Action Center
Windows Update

Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Please Attach the log to your reply.

Please download MINITOOLBOX and run it.

Checkmark following boxes:

Report IE Proxy Settings
Report FF Proxy Settings
List content of Hosts
List IP configuration
List Winsock Entries
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size
List Devices (problems only)

Click Go and Attach the result.

Please go here and download Speccy run the program and when it is finished Hit File >>>>>>Publish Snap Shot>>>> A link will pop-up on your desktop please post it here in your next reply.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
In response to Rage member there are many issues which i have been having to deal with, which caused me to think that my pc needs a cleaning.

1) Difficulty in loading up Microsoft Word(no, I am not getting any messages regarding Global Template)

2) When I save a document on Microsoft Word, and return to Microsoft Word to do another document, it shows a dialogue box asking me what i am to do with the previous file.

3) Startup has become increasingly slow

4) When I am browsing and there are two tabs open on Firefox and I happen to back tab, screen freezes up for a few seconds.

5) When I received an email on Google Mail, and click on a link for example, I get this "Redirection" message and I am obligated to do a "relaod" of the page over and over, it just happened with this topic.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Further to mine moments ago. I am not at all sure the make of the pc, only that I am using Windows XP Pro with Office 2003.

Also, I use CCleaner after everyday's pc session(non-registry area) for removing temporary files, browsing history, etc.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi waynf

Please work with what Rockmilk has asked you to do first and if I can add anything when his work is done I will chime back in if that is acceptable.

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts

Further to mine moments ago. I am not at all sure the make of the pc, only that I am using Windows XP Pro with Office 2003.

Also, I use CCleaner after everyday's pc session(non-registry area) for removing temporary files, browsing history, etc.

Here is a program that will tell you all the info that you will ever need to know about your machine just do not post the whole log generated as it does contain sensitive information such as serial numbers and such.
http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

Also it would be nice to get me the logs from Ccleaner,farbar service scanner,and minitoolbox these logs will give me a plethora of information on your machine and the state that it is in.Have a great day. :)

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Reply with txt.file:

Yes HKCU:Run BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA} "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
Yes HKCU:Run ctfmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Yes HKCU:Run LDM C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BackWeb-8876480.exe
Yes HKCU:Run LogitechSoftwareUpdate "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ManifestEngine.exe" boot
Yes HKCU:Run MSMSGS "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run AGRSMMSG AGRSMMSG.exe
Yes HKLM:Run avgnt "C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avgnt.exe" /min
Yes HKLM:Run C-Media Mixer Mixer.exe /startup
Yes HKLM:Run Family Tree Builder Update C:\Program Files\MyHeritage\Bin\FTBCheckUpdates.exe
Yes HKLM:Run HP Software Update C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
Yes HKLM:Run LogitechVideoRepair C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
Yes HKLM:Run LogitechVideoTray C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
Yes HKLM:Run LVCOMSX C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
Yes HKLM:Run NeroFilterCheck C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
Yes HKLM:Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
Yes HKLM:Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
Yes HKLM:Run nwiz nwiz.exe /install
Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
Yes Startup Common HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
Yes Startup Common Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
Yes Startup User Internet Call Manager.LNK C:\Program Files\Internet Call Manager\ICM.EXE

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Farbar Service Scanner Version: 04-08-2012 01
Ran by Wayne (administrator) on 05-08-2012 at 13:20:21
Running from "C:\Documents and Settings\Wayne\My Documents\MY CLIPS V"
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
WAN connected
Google IP is accessible.
Google.com is accessible.
Yahoo IP is accessible.
Yahoo.com is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy:
==================

System Restore:

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Results for MINITOOLBOX as attachment

Attached Files

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
For starters can you please re-run farbar service scanner with the settings I requested. My other reply coming shortly....

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
Speecy result snapshot:

http://speccy.pirifo...FlVYG3PvQ2r4EY7

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
In order for xp to function correctly you will need to free up some space windows needs 15% free space to function the way it needs to.
15% of (74.53 gigabytes) = 11.1795 gigabytes

Open Ccleaner hit the tools button then the start up button the disable the entries listed below.

Yes HKCU:Run BgMonitor_{79662E04-7C6C-4d9f-84C7-88D8A56B10AA} "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NMBgMonitor.exe"
Yes HKCU:Run ctfmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Yes HKCU:Run LDM C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\BackWeb-8876480.exe
Yes HKCU:Run LogitechSoftwareUpdate "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ManifestEngine.exe" boot
Yes HKCU:Run MSMSGS "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 9.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run AGRSMMSG AGRSMMSG.exe

Yes HKLM:Run C-Media Mixer Mixer.exe /startup
Yes HKLM:Run Family Tree Builder Update C:\Program Files\MyHeritage\Bin\FTBCheckUpdates.exe
Yes HKLM:Run HP Software Update C:\Program Files\HP\HP Software Update\HPWuSchd2.exe
Yes HKLM:Run LogitechVideoRepair C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
Yes HKLM:Run LogitechVideoTray C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
Yes HKLM:Run LVCOMSX C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
Yes HKLM:Run NeroFilterCheck C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ahead\Lib\NeroCheck.exe
Yes HKLM:Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
Yes HKLM:Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
Yes HKLM:Run nwiz nwiz.exe /install
Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
Yes Startup Common HP Digital Imaging Monitor.lnk C:\Program Files\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqtra08.exe
Yes Startup Common Logitech Desktop Messenger.lnk C:\Program Files\Logitech\Desktop Messenger\8876480\Program\LDMConf.exe
Yes Startup User Internet Call Manager.LNK C:\Program Files\Internet Call Manager\ICM.EXE

Open your device manager Hit the start button Right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager and uninstall your NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet Driver and reboot.

Now please uninstall the programs listed below.

Spybot - Search & Destroy (Version: 1.6.2)

Avira Free Antivirus (Version: 12.0.0.1125)

Replace Avira with Avast.

http://files.avast.c...virus_setup.exe

Reboot your machine.

You can set Ccleaner to run with windows.See below.

Ccleaner1.JPG ccleaner2.JPG ccleaner3.JPG

Download the program below unzip it to your desktop and set it to run on the next boot.
http://technet.micro...s/bb897426.aspx

Then clear all of your restore points and create a new one you can do this by turning off system restore and rebooting and turning it back on and rebooting again.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310405

Then download Erunt and create a backup of your registry and then download ntregopt and run it and then reboot.
http://www.larsheder...nline.de/erunt/

Now defrag your machine with auslogics select defrag and optimize just uncheck the boxes in the shot below when installing auslogics disk defrag.
http://www.auslogics...efrag-setup.exe

defrag warning.JPG

Download Autoruns and Autorunsc unzip Autoruns to your desktop run it.See any entries that read file not found when you see them right click and select delete (or just simply uncheck if you do not feel comfy deleting)do this only for the entries that read file not found also uncheck any scheduled task that are set to run on your machine,close the program.
http://download.sysi...es/Autoruns.zip

1. Right click on My Computer > Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager
2. Left click the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers group
3. Right click on Primary IDE and hit Uninstall if there are more than one then unistall them all each one will request a reboot wait until you have uninstalled them all and when the last one reuquest the reboot then do it.
4. Reboot the computer, the Primary IDE drivers will re-install themselves after you reboot.
5. Go back to the Device Manager and Left click the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers group again.
6. Right click on Primary IDE Channel and go to Properties > Advanced Settings tab.
7. Make sure that both Device's Modes are on "DMA if available".
8. Link Explaining http://msdn.microsof...e/gg463526.aspx

Instructions in link below for changing DNs server.
http://www.computerh...es/ch001161.htm
Change your dns to the below.

Preferred DNs 208.67.222.222

Alternate dns 208.67.220.220

Reboot your machine..

Now download the internet repair tool and run it with the boxes checked in the shot below.After running the tool reboot if the program does not do so for you.
http://majorgeeks.co...3f942b034a8b48c

internetrepair.JPG

Hit the windows Key and R at the same time then type CMD in the run box when command prompt opens then type
sfc /SCANNOW /OFFBOOTDIR=c:\ /OFFWINDIR=d:\Windows

Assuming that the d: drive is where the recovery partition is located.

Hit the windows Key and R at the same time then type CMD in the run box when command prompt opens then type chkdsk /r then hit enter when asked to schedule on next reboot then type Y then hit enter then type exit then hit enter and reboot your machine.

Edited by rockmilk, 05 August 2012 - 11:14 AM.

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,130 posts
I realize that you are here to help, but I do have one question. Why does the need exist to kill Avira Anti-Virus in favor of Avast. I ask this question as it may help someone else also. I just downloaded an installed Avira Free version for a senior lady on her new pc.

Waynef

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Avast has a smaller footprint if you will it uses less system resources although avira is a good antivirus I use it on one of my machines but the machine I use it on has 6 gigs of ram,I have tried it on my xp machine which has only a gig of ram and it slows things down quite a bit. The choice is yours just follow through with my suggestions and see how things go for you. :)

Edited by rockmilk, 05 August 2012 - 11:45 AM.