Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Printer and mouse issue

• Please log in to reply

drummersdad1

drummersdad1

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron. Never had any trouble before today, now when I plug the printer in my mouse stops working. Unplug the printer and in about 10 minutes the mouse will work again. At a loss....help!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
:welcome: drummersdad1

What model number Inspiron is it please as there are desktop and notebook variations, can you also tell us what type of mouse it is that you are using and the brand and model name/number of your printer.

drummersdad1

drummersdad1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I'll have him add the info in the morning

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
When you are ready :thumbsup:

drummersdad1

drummersdad1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Sorry it's been crazy here. The Inspiron model is M5040 (laptop) the mouse is a touchpad on the laptop. The printer is an HP Deskjet 2050 J510. I hope this helps. We also can't print even when it's not plugged into the computer. This is also new. :/

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Can you check the Device Manager for any yellow ! or red Xs please.

Can you also check that the new printer is selected as the default printer.

We also can't print even when it's not plugged into the computer

So it will not print using the wireless facility.

Some troubleshooting tips from HP http://h20000.www2.h...ectID=c01321436

drummersdad1

drummersdad1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
There is a green checkmark under default printer. No exclamations or X's. When I put a piece of paper in and push the button on the printer, nothing happens. :). I'm useless

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for the additional details.

I would now completely uninstall all of the HP printer software and the printer itself, once you have done this disconnect the printer from the notebook and reinstall the HP software that was bundled with the printer, be sure to only connect the printers USB cable to the notebook when you receive an on screen message telling you to do so.

Did you check out the troubleshooting guide at the link that I provided, also at the link is Troubleshoot a problem which can be found in the window to the left of the page.