Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to a SSD for my old notebook

• Please log in to reply

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hi everyone! :D

I was wondering that my laptop : Acer Aspire 4937G could be upgraded to this SSD:

Crucial 512 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT512M4SSD2
I asked Acer technical support they said it couldn't, so I was wondering if i purchased this:

Apricorn SATA Wire Notebook Hard Drive Upgrade Kit ASW-USB-25 (White)

does it work?

Hope to receive a reply from you guys! Thanks :D

Advertisements

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Hope someone could help me with my question... Oo
Thanks!! :)

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I looked on the net and from what I read your laptop can add an SSD. Your SSD SATA 3 at 6Gb/s should work just fine on a SATA2 port (your laptop specs), but it will be limited to SATA2 speeds of 3Gb/S.

Are you planning to change your original HD or you just want to add a new drive (external) if it is external then your adapter will be needed. Keep in mind also that plugged into an USB port your SSD will only work at the transfer speed of your USB port.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
I see! Thanks!!!
Will the 3gb/s affect the ssd...?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
The 3Gb/s will not affect your SSD it will even work better than your original drive but it will only be a slight improvement.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Does your slight improvement means with comparison to another ssd that is 6gb/s?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
No it means to what you already have in your notebook, if you had a Sata port working at 6Gb/s second you would see a big big improvement with your SSD.

SSD are non mechanical so compare to the traditional HD which are mechanical they will work faster and easier even if they both use a Sata port of 3Gb/s

3Gb/s is the fastest transfer rate your port will use, but rarely will the traditional HD will use that transfer rate.

TiFa LoCkHeArT

TiFa LoCkHeArT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
Oh I see! Thanks a lot Alzeimer :D Appreciate your help :D