Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Urgent help needed. Stuck at the end of a windows repair

• Please log in to reply

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• PipPip
  • 73 posts
I went to switch my laptop on and there was a black screen saying aomething about windows not being there or corrupt and to put in the original disc a press R to repair. I did this and follwed the instructions and all seemed to go well. It booted back up and was like a new intallation of windows asking mr to create a username for people who use the computer my language and what time zone I wanted it set to. Did all this then carried on clicked the finish button and now it's been stuck like that for an hour now with an egg timer for the mouse.

Is it doing something and should I leave it or has it frozen? I can still move the mouse about. Oh it's a Compaq laptop Windows XP

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
It very much depends on at which stage you keyed R and indeed where you went from there.

The first opportunity to key R is for the Recovery Console.

This is here, but I do not think you have used that.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

The second opportunity to key R is as here.

http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

and the specific screen

Posted Image

It very much depends on where you went from there and when you post back, we can then possibly guide you further.

Marieukxx

Marieukxx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
Thanks it did repair and switch on eventually

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Pleased it worked.

Thanks for posting the result