Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do i unlock my harddrive

• Please log in to reply

iiviietal

iiviietal

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So hey guys i got a new pc and added my music HD to it but i cant use the files like b4 i gotta jump hoops to listen to 1 song and i cant add any to itunes i have to unlock em as the admin (only one acc on the pc) and then my folders all got little lock icons on them ive never seen this b4 and dont know how to fix it any help would be wicked thank you

Advertisements

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Sounds like you need to take ownership of the drive. See below:

Taking Ownership of Files and Folders
If you are an administrator, an authorized user, or a backup operator, you can take ownership of a file or folder by completing the following steps:
1. In Windows Explorer, open the file or folder’s Properties dialog box by right-clicking the file or folder and then clicking Properties.
2. On the Security tab, click Advanced to display the Advanced Security Settings dialog box.
3. On the Owner tab, click Edit.This opens the Advanced Security Settings dialog box for editing.
4. In the Change Owner To list, select the new owner.If you’re taking ownership of a folder, you can take ownership of all subfolders and files within the folder by selecting the Replace Owner On Subcontainers And Objects option.
5. Click OK twice when you have finished.

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

craigkols

craigkols

• Pip
  • 3 posts
“Long PathTool” is a UNLOCKER program, this will help you to unlock your harddrive. Just download this program install it On your Computer. Connect the tool which you want to unlock, click the unlock button in “Long PathTool” program and wait 3 seconds. I have got a good result by using this program, hope this will help you.

Edited by craigkols, 03 February 2013 - 10:58 AM.