Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help me choose Between 12inchers

• Please log in to reply

helpmechoose

helpmechoose

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello,

I'm a long time Pc users who needs to buy a small lightweight notebook.

I'm hesitating between:
1- the inspiron 700m with 1Gb ram and 1,8 Centrino processor
2- Powerbook G4 with superdrive 1.25 gb ram

How does the G4 processor compare with a centrino processor.

I never owned a Mac in my life but feel I'm ready to try. What shoud I be on the watch out for? And can I transfer my Outlook mail to an equivalent software on the mac.

Is there another good alternative in the12inch?

Please help, I'm loosing sleep over this....

Hesitant Montreal.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I have a 700M and love it. I did consider giving it up for a Powerbook, but everything I read said I would be disapointed with the speed. The PentiumM is a great processor, and it runs very fast and cool. It is great on battery life, and usually offers a better value. You can buy a fully loaded 700m for well under $1,000. Watch for the hot deals. :tazz:

helpmechoose

helpmechoose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for your reply (I was starting to think that my question was stupid).

Given the fact that I can get a student discount and a good deal on the ram the powerbook superdrive with 1.25 Gb ram would be 50$ cheaper than the Dell 700M 1,8 centrino and 1Gb of Ram. So money is not the issue.

Would there be a drastic spped difference between the 2? Even considering the Ram boost on PBOOK?
What should I make of the intel graphics processor on the 700M compared to the Nvidia 64MB video card on the PBOOK?

Thanks again

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Wow! Great price on the PowerBook. That does make it more appealing. ;)

The Intel integrated graphics is fine for general email, browsing, and office applications. It may handle some basic 3D gaming, but if you plan on gaming with it, you'll be disappointed. The nVidia graphic are much more capable, and wins hands down.

As far as email, you can get Office for Apple, or consider Thunderbird. I'm not familiar with the capabilities of AppleMail.

OSX is a terrific operating system. In many ways it's already what the next generation of Windows (Longhorn) hopes to become. Apple systems have VERY few problems with viruses, trojans, spyware, and other malware. It is a secure operating system, but lack of market share probably has more to do with it than anything. There's supposed to be an announcement about Apple changing to Intel processors sometime today, that may increase their market share -- and maybe you'll be able to soon purchase an PowerBook with a PentiumM. :tazz:

PowerBooks do have better quality and build than a Dell Inspiron line notebook. Latitudes have great quality, but a much higher price tag. PowerBooks are also sexier. :help:

Unless you already own a lot of applications for a PC, or have a need for a specific program that may not run on a Mac, I would feel very confident recommending the PowerBook over the 700m, if they were about equal price.

P.S. I do not own an Apple, but just last week ordered a MacMini. I decided it's time to experience it first-hand, and learn more about them. OSX is a terrific operating system, and I'm also intrigued about the ease of which it can run Linux aps.

helpmechoose

helpmechoose

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I bought a powerbook, but I will only get in 5 days. I can't wait.

It seemed like a more balanced package (Nvidia, bluetooth...). And I was really tempted to switch to Mac. As for the speed compared to the 700M, I'll keep you posted. A friend of mine will be buying a 700M by the end of the month. So it'll be easy for me to compare. I hope the difference won't be too noticeable.

Thank you very much for your insight!!!

N+

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
I'm sure you won't be disappointed, keep us posted. :tazz: