Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Steam client: Some games crashing my pc

• Please log in to reply

SharinganX1

SharinganX1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey guys I'm looking for any help really on what this issue could be, I got a new pc about 2-3 weeks ago.

Specs:
64 bit Windows 7
16GB Ram
Radeon HD 6770 1GB DDR5
AMD Bulldozer FX4100 quad core

runs games like BF3 on ultra without any frame rips or lag/fps drops.

I try and run Fear 3, Dirt Showdown, Red Faction: Armageddon or Saints Row 3 on this system and it BSOD's or just crashes the pc, originally I thought it was steam itself but Deus Ex and Dead Space 2 run fine.

I've got the newest graphic drivers, done virus scans with several scanners, set steam to affinity, set steam to admin and the game im opening to admin, restored windows 7 to default and tried the games again plus a bunch of other random 'steam fixes' which havent changed anything and hardware checks came back fine, anybody have any clue whats wrong? I'm stumped as to what the problem could be with these specific games.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
if it actually blue screens, then there is a code it gives in the form of stop: 0x00000050 (for example). We need stop code to see what it's doing.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
If it reboots automatically, you can follow this guide to disable the auto reboot so you have time to capture the info:

http://www.howtogeek...tomatic-reboot/

in the example they use the two pieces that I want are:
bugcode_usb_driver and stop:0x0000000fe

I don't need the extra bits in ( ).

SharinganX1

SharinganX1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Heres the last few crash reports I have as requested.

On Wed 08/08/2012 02:28:30 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080812-28906-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7F1C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x101 (0x31, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88002FD7180, 0x3)
Error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 08/08/2012 02:28:30 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalReturnToFirmware+0xB2D)
Bugcheck code: 0x101 (0x31, 0x0, 0xFFFFF88002FD7180, 0x3)
Error: CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 07/08/2012 15:32:03 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080712-21980-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4B09CC)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800E5BA2C8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Tue 07/08/2012 15:29:14 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\080712-23150-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4B09CC)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA800E49F678, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.

Edited by SharinganX1, 08 August 2012 - 06:33 PM.

Northy

Northy

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Hey guys I'm looking for any help really on what this issue could be, I got a new pc about 2-3 weeks ago.

Specs:
64 bit Windows 7
16GB Ram
Radeon HD 6770 1GB DDR5
AMD Bulldozer FX4100 quad core

runs games like BF3 on ultra without any frame rips or lag/fps drops.

I try and run Fear 3, Dirt Showdown, Red Faction: Armageddon or Saints Row 3 on this system and it BSOD's or just crashes the pc, originally I thought it was steam itself but Deus Ex and Dead Space 2 run fine.

I've got the newest graphic drivers, done virus scans with several scanners, set steam to affinity, set steam to admin and the game im opening to admin, restored windows 7 to default and tried the games again plus a bunch of other random 'steam fixes' which havent changed anything and hardware checks came back fine, anybody have any clue whats wrong? I'm stumped as to what the problem could be with these specific games.

I'm running the same CPU with the same issue, I haven't been able to play Space Marine or The Darkness 2, I presumed Darkness would be fine because the demo ran. I've off heard off some reports that disabling a core in the BIOS fixes the issue. It's the most irritating problem isn't it.
I had an expert off here give me a huge amount of advice and fixes to try and still nothing worked.

Edited by Northy, 09 August 2012 - 03:13 PM.

SharinganX1

SharinganX1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah im suspecting its just the CPU, it was my original thought as i kept getting Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue. As a error report 90% of the time.
I have been reading alot about the FX cores being non gamer friendly and requiring a BIOS update to work properly, something im a bit reluctant to try as if I mess up it might break it permenantly!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
memory dumps are useful only if your going to get help Microsoft. There are many things that have to done to analyze the dump file correctly. If you can provide the stop code as originally requested, then we have a starting point.

Northy

Northy

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Yeah im suspecting its just the CPU, it was my original thought as i kept getting Bug check description: This indicates that an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue. As a error report 90% of the time.
I have been reading alot about the FX cores being non gamer friendly and requiring a BIOS update to work properly, something im a bit reluctant to try as if I mess up it might break it permenantly!

I updated my bios through the @BIOS function from Gigabyte but alas, nothing.

angej001

angej001

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have the same specs and my crash report reads :
==================================================
Dump File : 101712-26254-01.dmp
Crash Time : 17/10/2012 07:54:44
Bug Check String :
Bug Check Code : 0x00000124
Parameter 1 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 2 : fffffa80`083428f8
Parameter 3 : 00000000`00000000
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+4b094c
File Description : NT Kernel & System
Product Name : Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
Company : Microsoft Corporation
File Version : 6.1.7601.17944 (win7sp1_gdr.120830-0333)
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+4b094c
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\101712-26254-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 262,144
==================================================

SharinganX1

SharinganX1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hey, just an update I fixed this issue a few months ago in the end it was the BIOS version as I kind of suspected after some research, the FX series CPU's seem to have alot of versions that arent very friendly towards alot of games, so this my very well be your issue. The BIOS version I have is American Megatrends Inc. 1103, not had any issues with games since switching to this version.