Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Wireless Router in network with no DHCP

• Please log in to reply

bradyg23

bradyg23

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Our DSL Modem is 192.168.1.1. DHCP is not enabled, and according to the ISP cannot be enabled on this modem.

We currently have all our wired clients statically assigned for IP addresses. This works great.

The problem we have is this:
I need to add in a wireless router. I assigned it with 192.168.1.251 and enabled DHCP on the wireless router. However, when a laptop joins the network it is being told the default gateway is 192.168.1.251, and as a result it can't access the Internet.

I had this working prior to a firmware upgrade, but my backup was corrupt and now it isn't working. Unfortunately the original setup was 2 years ago, and I can't remember now what I did then to get it working. I do know that I was only plugged into the Internet port. No cables out of the 4 LAN ports (so DHCP was only serving laptops).

Many thanks for any help you can provide!

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Just to verify.. The cable going from the modem to the router goes into the Internet port on the router??

Regards,
Olrik

bradyg23

bradyg23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Actually no. I had had it working with the modem connected to a switch, and then the router was plugged in elsewhere in the house. Odd configuration, granted, but it was working. I just can't remember the config I was using.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
The cable that goes into the router though, does that go into the Internet port?

Regards,
Olrik

bradyg23

bradyg23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yes

bradyg23

bradyg23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Many thanks for any feedback you can offer. I feel like I'm missing something easy here. I appreciate your willingness to help..

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Odd.. First thing I would try would be to log into the Router and on the setup page tell the DHCP server it should tell all devices that the Default Gateway is 192.168.1.1

That should tell the wireless devices it should go through the modem to go to the internet, and not through the router.

Let me know how that works out.

Regards,
Olrik

bradyg23

bradyg23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Unfortunately the ISP has informed us that this modem is not capable of managing DHCP. I'm changing ISP's as soon as my contract runs out, but until then I'm stuck with this one.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Your issues are with the Wireless router though right? Not with the modem of the ISP?

I would like you to change the DHCP settings on the wireless router. :)

Regards,
Olrik