Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer going into 'slow motion' and then crashing

• Please log in to reply

harritan

harritan

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ive been having a problem with my pc for something like the last year or so but it has never been so much of a problem for me to be bothered to post on here for help (bad i know..)

Occasionally (approx one a month or so) my pc would freeze before 'unfreezing' after a couple of seconds, this would repeat for a number of minutes with each successive 'freeze' being longer in length and each 'unfreeze' session being shorter.

The last two times this has happend before occuring the audio on my pc would enter a sort of slow motion like state.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Autoruns txt file

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK first off I will say you are using UTorrent which could by the root of your problem with a possible hidden infection.
That being said I will do what I can to resolve it through the tech forum here but just to let you know I may have you start a topic in the malware forum before we can finish.

Open Autoruns, click on "Logon" tab, and UN-check:

+ "Adobe ARM"
+ "AdobeAAMUpdater-1.0"
+ "iTunesHelper"
+ "QuickTime Task"
+ "RAMfreer" Why you are using this on any OS after XP is counter productive
+ "SunJavaUpdateSched"
+ "Google Update"
+ "SpybotSD TeaTimer" This is notorious for slowing systems down. I suggest uninstalling Spybot completely.
+ "uTorrent"

When done restart computer and then:

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Jungledave

Jungledave

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I see you say that using µTorrent may have a hidden infection.
Thats a peer to peer sharing program acquired from a private source.
What kind of infection are you talking about?

Sorry, I dont mean to stray too far from the original topic of this post, but it
caught my attention and this is the first time I've heard of infections in µTorrent.
If you prefer I ask in a different area, please advise.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
P2P and Torrents are notorious for having hidden infections. This is a widely accepted standard amongst all Tech forums. The point of the comment is that any type of infection can be hidden within a file not counting the fact that in most cases the files are illegal and copyrighted.
Where the P2P program is of no importance but only that it may be the root of the issue.
Our TOU specifically addresses this with the following as why we don't assist in topics where the file is from a P2p or Torrent.

GTG does not assist in issues with P2P problems except for the removal of the programs pursuant to the Terms Of Use. Please be aware that GTG will help to rid your system of P2P programs if you choose to do so by starting a new topic and asking for assistance. For future information please read the Terms Of Use in the link at the top of forum. The reason we don't support P2P is because of the law and risk of infection possibly caused by the files downloaded. A great many of these files have infections in them and will cause in some cases your system to become unusable.

Jungledave

Jungledave

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you for the clarification.
I'm one of the few who use p2p legitimately, although it does tend to get a bad reputation.

Thank you again, and good luck with your issue harritan.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep programs like Linux Distros, Open Office, Office Libre are just a couple of the free open source programs that are legal to get from P2P. It does have its advantages but not in the forums like here at GTG simply because the majority of the infections can come from illegal downloads. I'm glad I could explain it for you as I saw after typing the original response how you could have thought I meant the program itself and not the files. :thumbsup:

smith.R.jhon

smith.R.jhon

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I think you need a format and antivirus check to solve it.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I think you need a format and antivirus check to solve it.

A format is always the very last step we would advise anyone to do before making sure the issue is not caused by something we can repair. AV will not matter as long as unsafe surfing habits are practiced.
A newer Av that upgrades itself everyday might help but we don't know if that is a step to take at this point since we are just beginning.

Advertisements

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Ok, thanks for the help. I guess ill update you if the issue happens again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you saying the system is back to running normally? :confused:

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Once i reboot the PC it starts working normally again.
-However this stuttered crash jsut happend again, this si the first time its ever happend twice within a few days. (not fixed yet)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r...
then Go to Start...Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications... then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk...copy and paste the log back here

We will advise after studying the log.

harritan

harritan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Im running windows 7 and i think the menu setup is different, under eventvwr.msc there is no "Applications", theres a folder called 'Applications and services logs' but it doesnt have anything called winlogon in it from what i can find.