Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gateway PC Can't Find The DVD Drives

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Well normally when they are seen in BIOS but not seen ANYWHERE in device manager or of course disk management or computer the problem is that Windows is not recognising the IDE (in this case) driver.

If the drive appears in BIOS and not in Windows then it may well be that you have a driver problem. Now this is NOT the driver for the optical drive itself, but the driver for the IDE/SATA/ ports on your computer

Has the uninstalling of the IDE controller been tried in device manager OR indeed the update driver software. Hoping that Windows 7 will find it.

Also of course, do we know that the chipset drivers etc are available for Windows 7.

Advertisements

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I only quoted you to make sure you knew I was talking to you and not rschaffer

I ran the fix it program and it asked me to unplug my devices to let the computer reinstall them (guess that's the right term) and nothing
happened.

the program then asked me to turn the pc off and do the same thing and still nothing

I have attached the screenshot

Attached Thumbnails

• device manager.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
GRRRRRRRRRRRR there it is ...the mass storage device is not loaded.
OK now we need to know the motherboard make and model or the branded system make and model.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thks for the screenshot, but is that with hidden devices shown, as per my request for the shot.

Also open mass storage controlller please - with the yellow warning what is the message please.

The item missing from your device manager is
IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers.

This is your problem.

On those items with the yellow warning, if you wish, see what the message is and follow the obvious (usually) requirement. ie - install driver.

ALSO re my last did you ever check that the motherboard and its drivers were suitable for windows 7

NOTE
I am leaving NOW - you are back with my good colleague rshaffer61.

Best of luck - back later.

Also please accept my apologies for asking you the question re where they were seen, BUT it was one of those occasions where I just did not have time to read 37 posts.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks Mac you found the issue now I just have to find the correct drivers.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
@ rshaffer61 ... how/where do I find that information?

@ Macboatmaster ... that is NOT with hidden devices shown ... here is the one you required in the first place.
and opening the mass storage controller this is the message that shows

The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)

To find a driver for this device, click Update Driver.

Attached Thumbnails

• device manager.jpg

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well you know it is a Gateway computer but there should be the make and model somewhere on the case.
I can then look for the motherboard chipset driver because that is what I think we need.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Gateway DX441S is the model number

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
HERE and get the chipset driver.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As you will know by now there are NO downloads for Windows 7 on that Gateway site

Here are the specs for your computer
http://support.gatew...05984Rsp2.shtml

It uses the Intel G33 chipset.

I would try on that device - Mass Storage - update driver and see what windows finds AND the PCI Simple Comunications Controller as well.

Did you ever check if this computer could run 7
http://windows.micro...upgrade-advisor
you can stil run this albeit you now have 7.

I will also search for you on Intel and post result - do not please hold your breath for success.

Try this
http://www.intel.com...detect/graphics

see what intel drivers are found - althought the shortcut says graphics it applies to all intel drivers

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Vista drivers may work also but I'm not holding my breathe on this right now.
Try the driver in post 54 just to see if it may work.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Okay I may and I stress MAY have found it for you

That Intel G33 chipset is part of the three series from intel

NOW, the problem is this

Intel drivers are generic and on an INTEL board, Intel is the correct place to go to update them

However Gateway, HP and many others that have boards specially made for them incorporating the Intel chipset frequently make so many changes that ONLY the driver on THEIR site will work.

However I have now found buried rather deep on the Intel site this
http://downloadcente...es+6+chipset%22

and that does cater for windows 7 and allows windows to properly configure the chipset drivers, so that HOPEFULLY, your porblems may be resolved.

BEFORE you download and run this one PLEASE do as my colleague suggests - however I think you MAY have to install it in compatability mode for the system to accept it.

CAUTION ensure that system restore is turned on.
Create a restore point just in case, although system should so that for you
IFit was me I would NOT try it until I knew I could recover beyond all reasonable doubt if either of them went pear shaped.

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
@ rshaffer61 ... downloaded and installed the chipset driver you gave me the link to ... that did not help ... it says it installed but I still don't see the DVD drives

@ Macboatmaster ... I ran the upgrade adviser and it gives me green checkmarks for everything BUT the PCI Simple Communications Controller

I am going on to the next messages and following all that you continue to tell me to.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

PCI Simple Communications Controller

Modem not a issue :thumbsup:

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
@ Macboatmaster ... I downloaded that last Intel download that you had me do after I tried everything else, but I'm having a problem understanding the instructions ... well, specifically the first part which states

1. Copy the contents of the <INF Extract Directory>\XXXX\Win7
directory to the root directory A removeable media,
such as a USB flash drive (UFD) or floppy disk (A:\)

NOTE:
XXXX is the directory name for the chipset
of interest. Refer to Section 8 for more details.

I'm sure it's me, but I can't wrap my head around this ... aaaaargh!!

dog