Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antec 900 case Cable management / fan questions.

• Please log in to reply

Kaito

Kaito

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hello,
Today after panicking over my Alpenföhn Matterhorn Pure Edition CPU Cooler not working due to the fan moving at 0RPM i decided to do a stress test and got my CPU fan speed moving at 900RPM (The fan is meant to go at Max speed i believe),
Running HWMonitor all day on my second monitor and noticing my CPU is only at 36°c without the Fan moving (note: the Heat-sink is stone cold) the stress test finally got up to 60°c with prime95 pushing it to the max.

That being said, i was looking at the mess of a computer and thought to myself, i'm going to look into the best way to cable management, when i thought my biggest question was answered i found more answers to come. so i'll ask them to smarter people then myself.

on this YouTube video (got a few ideas from it) i got highly confused and mixed bits of information.
Antec 900 FAN segment

He's using a 120mm fan which isn't going via molex connections but instead via the 3pin setup,

Now this is where i got mixed bits of information.
I was under the impression you shouldn't run more then 1 120mm LED fan from the motherboard, because the LED 120mm Antec fans are meant to use alot of power which could burn out the motherboard.

I have a Gigabyte Z77-D3H Intel Z77 (Socket 1155) DDR3 Motherboard, with the CPU cooler stated above, the Motherboard has 3 x system fan headers and a CPU fan header.

i was thinking about buying x4 of these Antec TriCool 120mm Blue LED 3 Speed 120mm Case Fan
Maybe 3 depending on if the side has enough room for the other fan ([bleep] CPU cooler to big)
So that would be 2 for the front (The HDD cooler fans) and 1 for the back.
note: i'm also thinking of getting Antec 200mm LED big boy for sheer looks.

Now i know i should never plug the 200mm fan into the Motherboard as the sheer power alone could do some negative effects,

But if i plug the 3 120mm fans into my motherboard would that be a bad thing? Could it damage the motherboard? Would the LEDs be dimmer due to running off the motherboard? (i have a 650w PSU, replaced my 850W power supply because i wasn't really using much power as u don't use SLI or crossfire.

Now back to the 120mm... How do i know if the Fan comes with the molex connection or the 3 pin connection?
For example the information given for the fan itself states
"3-pin and 4-pin power connectors provide convenient connections to your motherboard or power supply"
Would this mean it comes with both the molex and the 3 pin motherboard connection? or would i need to buy a converter from somewhere?

Other things i'm going to have to look into is
24-pin ATX main power connector extender
4-pin ATX 12V power connector extender
Front usb extenders,

but i'm worried about the fan side of things alot due to power/damage/unknown.
Also the last thing i'm not sure about.
If i get a 24 and 4pin ATX power connector extender, is there any harm/risk involved other then making sure they are as tight of a connection as i can give it, which is common seance really lol.
Would it be worth buying a Fan controller aka something "like" this thing or this thing

Thanks in advance for reading this.
Cookies for you!

Edited by Kaito, 08 August 2012 - 05:11 PM.

Advertisements