Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

beeps, clicks and no start

• Please log in to reply

eagle99

eagle99

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hello,
My 4 year old computer shut down and when I tried to restart it I heard a few beeps then clicking.
The BIOS screen then comes up.
I thought it was a hard drive crash so I disconnected the hard drives and replaced them with a working one.
The same start-up happened including the clicking noise.
I thought It might be the PSU so I purchased a new one.

I am including links to the motherboard, cpu and memory that are in the system.
http://www.newegg.co...82E16819103212' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>cpu
motherboard
memory

Any ideas?
Thanks so much.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Hi eagle99

Couple of questions if I may;
How many and how long or short are the error beeps.
When power is applied does the CPU fan turn.
Are you using the MBs integrated video chip or an add on video card.
If add on video card what is the brand and model name/number and if it is fan cooled has this been checked to be turning or for signs of damage.
What are the previous and present PSU details, brand and model name/number again please.

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for the reply.

There is 1 beep before the "clicking noise".
When power is applied the fan does turn.
I am using the integrated video card.
old psu: Thermaltake TR2-430W
new psu: Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-650 650W

I thought a clip of the failing start up might help,
here is the link:

Please let me know of any other information you might need.
Thanks for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Thanks for the additional information :thumbsup:

Does the computer at any time shut down without being asked to.

The single POST beep sounds normal (your OP states you heard a few beeps please clarify) and indeed the CPU fan does spin but can I ask you to check the fan for any type of movement that could signify that the bearings have gone in the fan as the noise could be the fan blades coming into contact with the heatsink or the fan housing.

I thought it was a hard drive crash so I disconnected the hard drives and replaced them with a working one.

This may be as a result of a damaged OS or failing drive and the replacement HDD also not booting may be because it does not have the required MB and other hardware drivers stored on it.

Is the HDD on the BIOS list in your video the replacement or the previous one as the sound is also possibly the HDD, some examples http://datacent.com/...rive_sounds.php I also noticed that there is no optical drive on the BIOS list, do you not have a CD or DVD drive fitted.

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Prior to the current situation the computer DID occasionally shut down without being asked to.

There was always 1 beep, sorry for the miss information.

On inspection, I don't see any bearings that have gone into the fan, though I am not really sure what to look for.

The video shows the 2nd hard drive that I took out of a working computer. The replacement HDD might not have the required MB and other hardware drivers needed but it was the same type of clicking noise and it appears that the location of the clicking noise (thought hard to locate) remained the same.

To trouble shoot I unplugged all other drives, I do have a DVD drive it's just not connected.

In order to rule out HDD completely is there a way to boot from a thumb drive?

How else should I trouble shoot?

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
The computer shutting down suddenly is often associated with overheating which in turn can be caused by an inefficient cooling system.

The fan bearings are actually encased and so cannot be seen, failed or dry bearings (no grease) is the main cause of noisy fans and overheating.

A sign that the bearings may have gone is that the cooling fan will have play in it and will not spin in a perfect circle, please check.

To rule out the HDD being the source of the noise disconnect the power cable from the PSU before you next power up.

Use Puppy Linux on thumb drive http://www.puppylinu...flash-puppy.htm this should allow you to secure any important data on the HDD if that turns out to be the cause, please do the HDD part above first and post an update, you can then return the original HDD and see if you can access the HDD with Puppy, make sure that you change the boot sequence in the BIOS to USB device first.

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
The fan seems to spin in a perfect circle (logo sticker is off center) with no play.

I disconnected ALL HDD and reconnected the DVD drive.

I have a True Image Boot CD and put it into the drive (I am currently downloading Puppy Linux though I am not sure how to use it).
On start up I do NOT hear the clicking sounds. Does this mean that the hard drive(s) are both bad?

CMOS is set to boot from the CD first though when the computer starts up it goes straight to the CMOS window.
I can't seem to boot from the CD which I have in the past.

Once I download Puppy Linux I will try to burn it to CD or put it on USB, it appears though that the CMOS screen always comes up.
Why would this be?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
It is odd that both HDDs make the same noise but it is not impossible.

Try clearing the CMOS, see the information below;

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
It's strange.
I reset the CMOS by taking out the battery (unplugged). The date and time was reset so I assume it worked.
I put in my original Windows CD (bootable).
On start up the computer goes directly to the CMOS screen (first boot was set to CD).

What now?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts

The date and time was reset so I assume it worked.

So you had to reset and save them manually.

I put in my original Windows CD (bootable).

At present this is secondary but is this a genuine Microsoft disk.

On start up the computer goes directly to the CMOS screen (first boot was set to CD).

Again you set and saved the settings manually did you.

This is looking like it could be a problem with the BIOS chip, when you next power up try tapping the Tab key and let us know what if anything is the result.

Advertisements

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
The date was reset to Jan 1 2000; I did not reset it to current date (should I).

Yes genuine disk though I am alternating with True Image (bootable). Still trying to figure out Puppy.

I did save the CMOS to first boot CD.

No result on tapping the Tab key on power up.

How can the BIOS chip get corrupted?

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Yes reset the time and date, save (F10)and exit, press Y to accept the changes.

An alternative to Puppy which also has a "how to" guide http://ping.windowsdream.com/

For future reference, the time and date ( the RTC) must be kept correct at all times, this serves two purposes 1: if the settings do not remain correct you will know the system has a BIOS problem and 2: it allows the system to install Windows updates correctly.

The BIOS chip can be affected by a dead CMOS battery, bad BIOS flash, overclocking, power spike and even malware attack.

Let us know if your new settings in the BIOS are saving correctly.

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
OK, I reset the date/time and saved.
I burnt the Puppy ISO CD and am using it now.

Same result on power up, just CMOS. Date and time are correct.

Computer is on surge protector, I never flashed the BIOS, never overclocked, malware? -perhaps but the computer is rarely used for downloads.

any other ideas?
Thanks for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,000 posts
Have you tried selecting the Load Fail Safe settings in the BIOS and if so what happened.

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I did not try before but just did now.
Same result. I then went into CMOS and set the first boot to CD, then saved. Same start up result. Just CMOS screen.