Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

beeps, clicks and no start

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
This has got to be frustrating for you :(

Have you replaced the original HDD and if so is Puppy able to access the data on it.

Some BIOS information http://www.bcot1.com/bios1.html

Advertisements

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
It is very frustrating even more so because I purchased this new PSU which did not solve the problem.

I did not fully understand what you meant by:
"Have you replaced the original HDD and if so is Puppy able to access the data on it."

What I did do was take the original HDD out and put it into an external USB reader.
The drive came up with no errors. All data seems to be there. Good news as far as data, bad news in regards to computer problem.

Do you think the problem is motherboard or cpu. What else is there?

I appreciate your effort and time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I did not fully understand what you meant by:
"Have you replaced the original HDD and if so is Puppy able to access the data on it."

I was asking if the original HDD had been replaced in the computer that it had been removed from and data recovery attempted from there.

What I did do was take the original HDD out and put it into an external USB reader.
The drive came up with no errors. All data seems to be there. Good news as far as data, bad news in regards to computer problem.

Yes good news for data recovery and the data should now be backed up to a second computer for safe keeping, then return the HDD to the original problem computer and we can move on from there.

NB: A computer with no HDD attached or a failed HDD attached cannot go any further than the BIOS area as the system does not have access to any further information.

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks for the info.
I have backed up the information.
The original HDD is now in the computer.
When powered up I get the same results...
Beep, Clicks, the CMOS screen displays.
The HDD does show up in CMOS.

What can I try next?
Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

I have backed up the information.

How was this achieved please.

Can you provide us with a screenshot which shows both the HDD and CD drive as being detected, thanks.

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Well, after I connected the HDD I reset defaults again in CMOS.
The computer powered up and all worked!
I am not sure what was different but it seems ok.
What should I look out for now so that this won't happen again?

Thanks.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Great news :thumbsup:

Unfortunately there is way of stopping this kind of issue happening but you can look out for warning signs such as abnormal noises or behaviour from the HDD.

There are steps that you can take to help a HDD function more efficiently such as running clean disk once a week and defragmenting the HDD every couple of months (but not too often), if the SMART facility is available for the HDD please enable it as this will alert you to potential issues that the HDD may have.

I am in work all day and so will not be able to reply again until around 1900 UK time and if you like I will then provide you with some further tips to help you get the best performance from your machine.

You are welcome BTW :thumbsup: