Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

window xp will not boot

• Please log in to reply

shannianni

shannianni

• PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
hi everyone

i cleaned a virus/maleware with these tools a day or so ago

super antispyware
AVG
malewarebytes
search & destroy

after using these the pc would hand freeze sometimes, yesterday when the windows xp was loadinf with the bar going from left to right it took around 15 minutes to complete this, after a while on the pc it was shut down and later on restarted.

this loaded up to the bar going across again then a BSOD saying shut down to prevent damage

STOP : 0X0000007E, (0XC0000005, 0X00000000, 0XF797AF14, 0XF797AC14)

i cannot even boot in safe mode - getting an error when the safe mode is in every corner -
unable to load safe mode - window will restar.

i ran the recovery console and done chkdsk /p
it found 1 error so i ran
chkdsk /r

it done this ok

i then reloaded the windows xp cd and done a repair, this completed ok to but when it restarted the same thing happened BSOD
STOP : 0X0000007E, (0XC0000005, 0X00000000, 0XF797AF14, 0XF797AC14)

can ayone help please

many thanks

ian aka shannianni

sorry i have posted twice can this one here be removed

http://www.geekstogo...-will-not-boot/

Edited by shannianni, 09 August 2012 - 05:51 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

0x0000007E: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
A system thread generated an exception which the error handler did not catch. There are numerous individual causes for this problem, including hardware incompatibility, a faulty device driver or system service, or some software issues. Check Event Viewer (EventVwr.msc) for additional information.

Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crash....

Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.

Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes
WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it
Copy and paste it into your next reply

http://www.resplendence.com/downloads

shannianni

shannianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
hi

many thanks for the reply

how can i run this if i cant start windows

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OOPS :blush:
OK we will have to do this a different way then.

Go to the place where you choose Safe Mode and instead choose Boot With Last Known Good Configuration That Worked and let me know if it boots into windows then.

shannianni

shannianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
hi

it wont boot into that either and when i try safe mode the 4 safe mode names come into the four corners but it says

unable to load safe boot - window to restart

then i have to click ok

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I know you said you ran chkdsk /r but you did not post any results so I would like to see that done again running the instructions below.

How to run checkdisk from recovery console (Windows xp). (Courtesy dsenette)
  • Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive, and then restart the computer.
    Note:Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD-ROM drive if you are prompted to do so.
  • When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
    Note:If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.
  • When you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
  • At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following then press Enter:

chkdsk /r

• Allow this to run UNDISTURBED until completed (45 min or so)
  • Report any errors

shannianni

shannianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
Hi I ran chkdsk /r and it ran ok , the stop error is still there even after doing a repair using the windows cd, I still cannot boot and still cannot get into safe mode. Would this be related to the motherboard drivers, I can run this when I get home.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK time to get serious now.

Repair Installation Instructions

· Insert your Windows XP CD in your CD-ROM and then Restart your computer.

· At the first post screen start tapping the Del key to enter System Bios
· Find the Advance Options or Boot Sequence screen.
· You will need to change the boot sequence so that the CDrom is first and the HD is second.
· Press F10 to Save and Exit and then press Enter to accept.
· The system will now reboot
· When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
· When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER
· To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
· At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. DO NOT SELECT THIS OPTION.

· On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.
· Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected and highlighted in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.
· Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

You can also go HERE
to read a step by step tutorial with screenshots.

shannianni

shannianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
hi many thanks for your time, i done this and it went through done everything copied all the necessary files, went through to the end where it says - if there is a floppy in the drive please take this out - i took the cd out and it rebooted, but got to the windows screen with the thing going from left to right then after about 20 seconds it shut down with the same BSOD and the same error.

the error didnt have anything at the top like this (SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED )
just the pc had shut down to prevent damege etc and the code at the bottom.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK this is where it will get a little tricky then. What we are going to do is try what is called a parallel installation. This installs a second windows on your system while keeping your data safe. If it works then you will simply move the data over to the new installation. You will have to reinstall all the programs and get all the updates but a small price to pay to keep you data.

Parallel Installation of Windows XP

Boot to the Windows XP installation cd by pressing a key when the "Press any key to boot from cd" prompt appears at the top of the screen.
  • At the "Welcome to Setup" screen, press Enter to set up Windows XP.
  • Accept the License Agreement by pressing F8
  • With your current installation selected in the box, press Esc
  • Select C: Partition1 [NTFS] in the box and press Enter
  • To continue setup using this partition, press C
  • Now you should see formatting options...choose the last one, Leave the current file system intact (no changes), and press Enter
  • To use a different folder, press Esc
  • Name the folder WINDOWS0 (just type a 0 (zero)) and press Enter
The Windows installation should begin. This will install Windows to a new folder, leaving your data intact. Any programs installed on the old directory will have to be reinstalled to the new one. Device drivers will also have to be installed for all the hardware to work as it should.

The data will be located in the Documents and Settings folder (C:\Documents and Settings) under your old user account name...so when you set up the new installation, give yourself a slightly different user account name.

Advertisements

shannianni

shannianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
thank you for your time, i will action this when i return from work and let you know via the internet on my phone

once again thanks,

ian aka shannianni

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem. Just so you understand this will make a clean install of XP so if there is a problem with your existing XP it should boot into the new installation with no problem. You will be given a choice when you boot to which Windows installation you want to boot to. It is important that you get the new one. :thumbsup:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just noticed you had another topic HERE in which Happyrock was helping you earlier this year. You never concluded that topic and it is apparent the motherboard chipset drivers according to your last response were never installed. Is this the same system we are dealing with in this topic?

shannianni

shannianni

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 926 posts
Hi no this is my daughters pc

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK not a problem as I just wanted to make sure we were not dealing with the same system in two different topics.

Have you had a chance to do the parallel installation yet?