Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

unable to reach some web sites

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Run Windows XP, Internet Explorer 6 and have DSL. Unable to access certain web sites - deepgreenbank.com - lavasoft.com - many more. I have no problem with my home page (verizon) or travel websites. It seems to be confined to banks and anything related to adware or spyware. So I thought it might be adware or spyware and attempted to log on to lavasoft.com to obtain free download (this particular program was recommended by many) but could not log onto the web site - Got the "The Page Cannot be displayed" I finally was able to download Ad Aware SE Personal through this website. I ran it several times. However this did not fix my problem. I am back to the same thing. HELP! <_<

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,490 posts
Hi Joann, welcome to Geeks to Go! <_<

Let us take a closer look at what is running on your PC. We'll need you to use a free diagnostic tool (HiJackThis) and post a log back here with the results.

Click the HijackThis Guide in my signature, download it and follow the instructions in the guide.

Most of what it lists will be harmless or even essential, DO NOT delete or modify anything yet! Someone will be along to tell you what steps to take after you post the contents of the scan results.

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
its probably just IE security settings being to high

if you do suspect spyware but you can DL anything to scan, call 866pcsafety

its a microsoft hotline (free) for that kind of issue

• PipPipPip
  • 365 posts
If HijackThis dosent work then you should consider trying Spybot S&D or Microsoft anit-spyware. But then again, it might not be a spyware thing...

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Something else to check also is that sometimes popup blockers can cause this problem. I was running 2 at a time and I couldnt get to pretty much any site like you describe, even including macromedia, zonelabs, cnet, or downloads.com.. I switched off the blocker's support for mozilla (I use firefox and it has its own) and my problems were solved.

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have the same problem. have tried averything. Here is my log. PLease help me.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 01:33:28, on 2002-01-02
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program\CyberLink DVD Solution\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe
C:\Program\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe
C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
C:\Program\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\Program\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpotdd01.exe
C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\Program\Sony Corporation\Picture Package\Picture Package Menu\SonyTray.exe
C:\Program\Sony Corporation\Picture Package\Picture Package Applications\Residence.exe
C:\Program\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpoevm08.exe
C:\Program\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\Bin\hpoSTS08.exe
C:\Program\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Matte\Skrivbord\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.se/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = Länkar
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C8B2A36-3DB1-42A4-A3CB-D426709BBFEB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] C:\Program\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb07.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [InCD] C:\Program\Ahead\InCD\InCD.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RemoteControl] "C:\Program\CyberLink DVD Solution\PowerDVD\PDVDServ.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SoundMan] SOUNDMAN.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IntelliPoint] "C:\Program\Microsoft IntelliPoint\point32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [zBrowser Launcher] C:\Program\Logitech\iTouch\iTouch.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Cryptographic Service] C:\WINDOWS\System32\lfheqew.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NeroFilterCheck] C:\WINDOWS\system32\NeroCheck.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSConfig] C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\MSConfig.exe /auto
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Steam] "c:\program\steam\steam.exe" -silent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Updating] syswrk.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Windows Services] wupdmgt.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Gamma Loader.lnk = C:\Program\Delade filer\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hp psc 2000 Series.lnk = C:\Program\Hewlett-Packard\Digital Imaging\bin\hpobnz08.exe
O4 - Global Startup: hpoddt01.exe.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: InterVideo WinCinema Manager.lnk = C:\Program\InterVideo\Common\Bin\WinCinemaMgr.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Personal.lnk = C:\Program\Personal\bin\Personal.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Picture Package Menu.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Picture Package VCD Maker.lnk = ?
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xportera till Microsoft Excel - res://C:\Program\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java-konsol - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Referensinformation - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\Program\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn...pdownloader.cab
O23 - Service: Ati HotKey Poller - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
O23 - Service: ATI Smart - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2sgag.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager (ccEvtMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation (ccPwdSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager (ccSetMgr) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: InCD Helper (InCDsrv) - AHEAD Software - C:\Program\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service (navapsvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service (NPFMntor) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\IWP\NPFMntor.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPZipm12.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service (SBService) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\DELADE~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service (SNDSrvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec SPBBCSvc (SPBBCSvc) - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\SPBBC\SPBBCSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service (SymWSC) - Unknown owner - C:\Program\Delade filer\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe (file missing)

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Yehaaaw fixed the problem by running WinsockXPfix which I found here at geeks. s :tazz: TRY it it might work for you too.