Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help: Custom PC vs. Prebuilt PC

• Please log in to reply

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

I don't think that the HDD has to be connected. I was refering to this video from newegg.
Newegg video tutorial (It's at the correct time, just open link and watch)

In the video, the parts connected are the Motherboard, CPU, GPU, Memory and the Power supply. The guy plug the speaker and when he shorts the pins to do the test boot, we hear the single beep and he says that it good because we know the motherboard has done the POST. There is no Drive installed.

That is why I was wondering why mine dont't make any sound when I turn the power ON.

Depending on your BIOS version, you might not get a beep on successful POST. The mobo has video out capabilities with on-screen error codes. It also has CPU phase LEDs that should light up if the CPU is getting power. I believe it only beeps if it's unable to initiate video output.

Edited by kidnova, 16 August 2012 - 04:42 PM.

Advertisements

Mad9

Mad9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Ok thank you! I want to know if I can boot from a usb external hard drive and play games on it if I configure it properly with windows 7. This way I could try out my pc while I wait for the HDD shipping.

Is it possible?
If yes, will it affect something after I remove it and start from scratch with my real HDD?

kidnova

kidnova

• PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
You could, but I don't think it would be worth your time. It takes quite a while to fully install and patch Windows, plus drivers, plus any programs you want to install and going through it twice in a couple of days is not an experience I'd recommend.

Also, while in theory an external USB 3.0 drive should be as fast as a Sata 2 internal drive, I doubt that's the reality in practice.

Edited by kidnova, 17 August 2012 - 01:09 PM.

Mad9

Mad9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hey guys! I've received my HDD and installed it ! Everything is installed and working. Thanks a lot for your help!
However, I had an issue with the game League of Legends. While playing, my computer crashed. There was a repeated bug sound during 2 seconds, a black screen, then my computer restarted. I had no problems yet with any other games. Is the graphic card the problem?
I created a new topic about this problem if you can/want to help. You can see it here.