Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer slow, gaming slow.

• Please log in to reply

jolemac1911

jolemac1911

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello I've got an Acer travelmate 5320 laptop, operating system windows vista home premium, hardware 64 bit with 1.00GB of memory, that has become extremely slow lately,I it use it mostly for playing games and whenever I try to load a game it takes forever to upload. I keep getting a message saying ".Net runtime optimisation service stopped working and was closed" . I do not have an antivirus programme dowloaded on this laptop do you think that's why I've got this problem. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
First off install .NET Framework 4. Or if you have it, install a fresh copy and see if that works. You should always have a anti-virus program installed. I would recommend Avast free edition. Once you've installed Avast. I would download, install and run malwarebytes.

jolemac1911

jolemac1911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Thank you for your prompt response, I'll download the Avast free edition, but how do I download/get .Net framework 4?

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Thank you for your prompt response, I'll download the Avast free edition, but how do I download/get .Net framework 4?

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=17718

Edited by MikeMason, 09 August 2012 - 01:51 PM.

jolemac1911

jolemac1911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello I've downloaded the antivirus programme, and downloaded the .Net4 programme, I'm not getting that message anymore,thank you but I've noticed that uploads are still slow,and I keep having to retart the web page message now is "web page not responding"

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Ok so your original problem has now been solved and it's np.

You should download Malwarebytes from here http://download.cnet...4-10804572.html.

After that has been done I would run a defrag. I'd bet money that you've not defraged your computer in a long time. Go to my computer and right click your hard drive or the partition where Windows has been installed. Click properties and then click the tools tab and click defragment now. It may take a couple of hours but a badly defragmented drive could really slow your computer down.

Once the defrag has been completed. I would recommend downloading and running ccleaner. This program can be downloaded here http://download.cnet...4-10315544.html

Try these couple of steps first and then post back.

Edited by rshaffer61, 10 August 2012 - 12:38 PM.
Removed malware advice. Not allowed outside the malware forum and even then only by a trained malware tech.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Once the defrag has been completed. I would recommend downloading and running ccleaner.

What exactly in Ccleaner are you asking to be run?

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Oh, I would recommend him leaving the settings on default. The program is preset when it's been downloaded and installed. Just leave the programs settings as is and when it opens up just click "run cleaner". I wouldn't recommend using the registry issue scanner and fixer though.

Edited by MikeMason, 10 August 2012 - 12:45 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK GTG does not recommend the use of ANY REGISTRY CLEANER for the following reason.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Just a note: Before attempting to clean or fix any registry you should always make a backup of it first just in case something goes wrong.

Secondly Ccleaner has been know to cause problems with some AV's which when run the AV will have to be reinstalled. Is there something in specific you are trying to accomplish with Ccleaner because I may be able to suggest another program that will not mess with the registry.

jolemac1911

jolemac1911

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello,
I've downloaded the malwarebyte, did a defrag and downloaded the CCleaner ran the programme and this was the information that was displayed after running the CCleeaner. Not sure of the next step to take, I await your expert advise.

Thank you

Attached Thumbnails

• mobile phone photo's 082 - Copy (2).jpg

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You have both Avast and Windows Defender running. Disable Windows Defender please. Never a good ideal to have two real time AV's running.

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
CClean deleted a lot of rubbish off your computer which is a good thing. As you didn't have any anti-virus program installed. You should make sure you're free from viruses. You can use Malwarebytes for this but I'm not allowed to give you any advice on this. You should read guides on this forum about how to do this. Or you can ask in the "Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal" forum and somebody else could assist you with any problems you have.

Just explain you had no anti-virus program installed and that your computer is very slow.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

As you didn't have any anti-virus program installed. You should make sure you're free from viruses.

Hey Mike did I misread the picture because I see both Windows Defender and Avast in the list? :confused: :whistling:

MikeMason

MikeMason

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
True, I missed that. It might not necessarily be actively running though but it probably is. He should disable it if it is like you've said.

Windows Defender is anti-spyware and not anti-virus program. It's not very good as anti-spyware imo.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

True, I missed that. It might not necessarily be actively running though but it probably is. He should disable it if it is like you've said.

Windows Defender is anti-spyware and not anti-virus program. It's not very good as anti-spyware imo.

Agreed and I would suggest SuperAntiSpyware in it's place. If Avast is running you would know because it updates at least twice a day.