Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

too many Startups going on

• Please log in to reply

maryisme

maryisme

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
I have searched the forums and everything I have found so far seems very dated (2005) some earlier/later, can't find anything fairly current. Anyway, My CPU load seems pretty high and I am pretty sure there are too many things running at start up and beyond. I want to disable anything that is not necessary, but I am not good enough to now what is necessary and what isn't. Can you give me a little schooling on this? I really want to run as bare bones as I can. I need to upgrade my RAM but don't have the funds at this time. I think my machine is running pretty lean, but I just want to make sure I've done everything I can. I have two machines, one desktop and one laptop and I want to do this for both. Thanks for your help on this!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

maryisme

maryisme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Here is the file...

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Autoruns look good so I'll move to the second set of instructions.

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Download Auslogics Defrag from the link in my signature below. Auslogics Defrag in my opinion is better because:

It does a more comprehensive job at Defragging
It will actually show you what it is doing
At the end of working it will show you how much speed you picked up
You can view a online log of the files that Auslogics defragged
Please do not run any other Auslogics programs other then this one as they may cause unwanted results.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Completely unconnected with the issue in question, but may I just come in with advice re what is running.

You have the gadget and sidebar running
It has recently been announced by Microsoft that this is a security risk

http://technet.micro...dvisory/2719662

maryisme

maryisme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Attached is the file from my laptop...

Attached Files

maryisme

maryisme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
OK, I ran both programs on my desktop and sent you another file for my laptop. I had no idea I had any gadgets running on this machine, I was aware of the security issue, I just didn't know it was actively running here. I guess I will address that next. As far as the start ups on this machine do they seem ok to you?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most of what you have on the laptop is needed for the it to run correctly. There are a couple but I don't think they are that big of a deal.
Thanks Mac I completely forgot the gadget warning by Microsoft.
Maryisme let us know how the system is running once you complete my last set of instructions.

maryisme

maryisme

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Ok, I disabled the gadget and sidebar using the Microsoft fix it tool, I didn't want to noodle around in the registry at this time...Everything seems to be purring along nicely. Thank you both very much! :cheers:

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear and please let us know how it is running in a day or two just so we know everything is right. :thumbsup:

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I was aware of the security issue, I just didn't know it was actively running here

You did well to be aware of it, as I do not think it has yet been widely publicised by Microsoft, insofar as relates to a security update.